Augmentation or tolerance

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
Rcure

Augmentation or tolerance

Post by Rcure »

I've been on the 1mg of the neupro patch for four days now, I felt better almost instantly but after 4 days I can feel symptoms starting return. This is the second time in 1 month that I have been on neupro and cone off of it for the same reason. When I cans off neupro before I did start feeling better but eventually my rls came back in full force.

If this is augmentation is it really possible for it to start so early into treatment?

Rustsmith

Re: Augmentation or tolerance

Post by Rustsmith »

The 1mg patch is the lowest dose Neupro patch that is made. For RLS, the range of doses normally used is from 1 to 3 mg.

Therefore, it is difficult to say whether what you are experiencing is simply an adjustment of your body to the Neupro medication where it initially addresses your symptoms but where you really need to be on the 2mg patch or whether this is an early sign of your sensitivity to augmentation. So this is something that you need to talk about with your doctor.

But to answer your question about whether you could be augmenting in just a couple of days, the answer is that it does happen, but not very often. You also need to keep in mind that the extended release nature of the patch is supposed to reduce the chances of augmentation, although it does happen because I was on Neupro for about a year and a half and was eventually up to using the 4mg patch.

One final thought to keep in mind, most RLS experts will tell you that the goal of using the medications is not 100% control of your symptoms. The goal is to make your symptoms manageable for enough of the time for you to be able to carry out your normal activities (including getting enough sleep).
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Did you stop any other medications at the same time you added this?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rcure

Post by Rcure »

No I didn't stop any meds