RLS and leg cramps

Use this forum to discuss any issues associated with Augmentation
Grateful to God

RLS and leg cramps

Post by Grateful to God »

I've had RLS for at least 10 years and am now weaning off of Mirapex on to tramadol. It sometimes works. It's the middle of the day and I am so very tired from lack of sleep that I sat in my recliner to rest but the RLS started up in my shoulders. I feel like a dead man walking sometimes.
Another issue I have are leg cramps that wake me up. I've tried every supplement around. I had a knee replacement surgery 8 months ago which has not healed due to the leg cramps especially in my surgery leg -- so very frustrating.

So at this point, I am wondering if anyone else out there struggles with both leg cramps and RLS.
Thank you for any help offered.

Grateful to God

ViewsAskew

Re: RLS and leg cramps

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds awful. Hopefully someone will have some ideas.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to the Discussion Board.
I too have random cramp, none for years, then a few weeks of agonising episodes. It's been quite a few days, perhaps a week, since the last one.
I have no magic relief other than to keep taking fluids - other than that I just thole it and ride it out.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi Grace - I will post when I have a brain, it is medicated right now and not of much use. I am thinking of you and hoping you are getting some sleep tonight.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Regarding your leg cramps...I'm assuming you've tried a magnesium supplement, but if not then I'd highly recommend. But I've also discovered that not all magnesiums are the same as I've had different reactions. I've been successfully using magnesium Glycinate for RLS that includes cramping (but not during Augmentation as I've never experienced that). The cramping stopped and I still have other RLS sensations, but at a lower level. Recently I switched to magnesium Malate because another member here had much success with it. But my RLS increased in severity, I became constipated, and my entire body felt uncomfortable. I switched back to Glycinate and within 2-3 days I was back to my normal RLS levels and felt better overall. A few years ago, I tried magnesium Citrate and had no bowel control. I also tried that popular magnesium product called Natural Calm and it caused horrible insomnia and what felt like RLS throughout my body. Some people get relief by soaking in an Epsom Salt bath but that doesn't work for me. If you've tried magnesium before unsuccessfully, then you might consider trying a different kind to find the one that works for you.

Before I found a magnesium solution, I was able to somewhat treat the cramping with a hand held massager I purchased at Brookstone. I'd massage my legs before bed and was able to sleep for awhile then I'd wake from the cramping, and other RLS sensations, and use the massager again. Not the greatest solution but the only thing that worked at the time and I was able to get a few hours of sleep.

All that said, I sometimes still get cramping in my legs and feet that comes and goes over a few days period, then it subsides and stops. I haven't been able to tie it to anything. Hope you get relief very soon.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Grateful - you may already know this, but one of the most common causes of cramping is dehydration. Most of us don't drink enough water; recommended amounts are roughly 2 liters (9 cups) for women, 3 l (13 c) for men. That might be something to think about.

It could also be related to a magnesium deficiency - which yawny addressed - or a potassium deficiency. It wouldn't hurt to be sure you're eating enough potassium-rich foods.

Since you're withdrawing from pramipexole, you will be experiencing worse symptoms for a while, even if you weren't augmented. The dose of tramadol you're on now might not be enough right now, but it might end up being enough once the symptoms subside after your body has re-set. Meantime, maybe your doctor would consider a 4-week increase in the tramadol prescription?

It's important to make sure your doctor knows how your lack of sleep is affecting your life. Be explicit; too often we are too general, saying things like "I don't sleep enough" instead of "I get 2 to 4 hours of broken sleep a night, and this has been going on for 7 months. I can no longer function at work, I can't remember what was just said in conversations, .. " or whatever is appropriate in your case. THEN - once you've told him that, ask him for a solution. Say- "what can we do about this?"
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

I have a feeling quinine (in some brands of tonic water) is recommended for cramps but not sure if it is the soap-in-the-bed equivalent.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, the quinine in tonic water is I believe very minimal - but if it works, it works :thumbup:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

That's right, legsbe, it's apparently real, though for some people it's not enough as Betty says. I forgot about quinine.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I read somewhere that it would take 20 glassfuls of tonic water to get enough quinine to make up a dose equal to what a doctor would prescribe for cramps (if he was allowed to do so).

However, don't knock what works.
Betty

Nannyhew7

Post by Nannyhew7 »

I, too, have recently had severe leg cramps at night (and a few during the day). Friend told me of a "holistic cure" and to my surprise, it's worked. Pinch the area just below your nose...hold tight (it can be a little uncomfortable) for about one minute. It actually worked for me this morning at 5:00 a.m. I also know hydration works for me.

yawny

Post by yawny »

Ok, this is totally off-subject but after hearing the pinch-the-nose holistic cure for cramps, I had to share...our family friend from a small Mexican village grew up with all sorts of holistic cures. When his children get a flu or cold, he has them stomp on onions and garlic in the bathtub. When someone gets hiccups that won't go away, he suggests putting pencils, sticks, or chopsticks on top of both ears, like how a carpenter stores his pencil. My family hasn't tried the onions and garlic, yet, but we've employed chopsticks for hiccups and it works! I wish we all knew more of these traditional cures nowadays. The only tradition handed down to me, is to treat all illnesses with an entire pan of brownies.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Thanks to my intractable RLS problems I can now suggest a useful addition to the pan-of-brownies treatment - medical marijuana - or even just straight marijuana (literally add to the brownies). Ok so it isn't a cure-all but it buys spaced out bliss while ill. And makes the person balancing pencils on their ears whilst hiccuping look just so incredibly amusing.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Sorry, Yawny, I absolutely agree with you about the misfortune of allowing traditional cures to fall out of general knowledge and fully intend to try the top-of-ear hiccup cure next time I have an opportunity. Just couldn't resist a little flippancy. Hope you don't mind.

yawny

Post by yawny »

legsbestill wrote:Sorry, Yawny, I absolutely agree with you about the misfortune of allowing traditional cures to fall out of general knowledge and fully intend to try the top-of-ear hiccup cure next time I have an opportunity. Just couldn't resist a little flippancy. Hope you don't mind.

Mind?! I love it!!!

Speaking of putting things in brownies...do people add Kratom to them? I'm only familiar with white chocolate chips, marijuana, or Ex-lax.