New member - 8 year old son diagnosed at 6 with RLS/PLMD

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
James7

Re: New member - 8 year old son diagnosed at 6 with RLS/PLMD

Post by James7 »

Have any of you with children with rls considered the glutamate connection to effect them? I have it and am highly affected by it. It is in our diet in so many forms. A good test would be to let them eat a serving of Doritos. If you notice a huge increase in movement by them, then they may be affected by glutamate. I would be happy to tell you more about it, if you thought it would help.

Bridgercan

Post by Bridgercan »

I’ve not read up on the effects of glutamate, per se, but I figured out a long time ago junk food is an RLS trigger for me big time. Really anything processed will get my legs going. I used to love Doritos actually, even a whiff of them from someone else munching on them still makes me salivate, but I’ve learned the hard way I don’t won’t to pay the price.

I’d be interested in any research you’ve come across, James.

Bridgercan

Post by Bridgercan »

James, I am sorry to hear your son is afflicted with RLS/PLMD. I hope you’re able to help him find relief

badnights

Post by badnights »

james wrote:A good test would be to let them eat a serving of Doritos. If you notice a huge increase in movement by them, then they may be affected by glutamate. I would be happy to tell you more about it, if you thought it would help.
You must know about the research that connects high levels of glutamate in the brain to WED/RLS. I'd be interested in hearing what else you've discovered.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.