dialysis triggers WED/RLS

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
badnights

dialysis triggers WED/RLS

Post by badnights »

Just read an article about a study of 354 patients on hemodialysis.

They found that almost 41% had WED/RLS. Symptoms of RLS started AFTER hemodialysis for 83% of them! I always thought it was the kidney diesease itself that caused the WED somehow, but apparently something about the dialysis is an even bigger trigger. The longer a patient has been on dialysis, the more likley s/he has WED/RLS.

Another of the risk factors is treatment with erythropoietin. Manufactured erythropoietin is used to treat anemia in chronic kidney disease. Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell production. The body produces erythropoietin in the kidney in response to cellular hypoxia. They didn't mention any theories as to how treatment with erythropoietin might trigger WED/RLS.

Very few of the patients were aware of WED/RLS, even though they had it. The researchers felt that the low awareness was probably delaying diagnosis of the disease.

https://www.healio.com/nephrology/chron ... modialysis
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Re: dialysis triggers WED/RLS

Post by stjohnh »

Not much discussion in the article, but every little bit of information helps scientists get closer to the causes and treatment possibilities.
Blessings,
Holland