Racial Subgroup and Ethnicity

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
IThinkImInTorture

Racial Subgroup and Ethnicity

Post by IThinkImInTorture »

Is there any data specific to racial subgroup and/or ethnicity of people with RLS?

ViewsAskew

Re: Racial Subgroup and Ethnicity

Post by ViewsAskew »

The only I know about is that it affects Northern European ethnicities the most, and east Asian the least...that was years ago.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Ann's information is the latest that I have seen. Northern European, then Southern European close behind followed by Asians.

Added to that, it is "unknown" within African cultures (not the mixed European-Africans found in the US). The doctors do not know if this is because the genetics do not exist on the African continent (outside of the Europeans in South Africa) or if it is due to the lower standard of medical care there.

As for the Pacific Island cultures, I don't know anything but would expect them to be somewhat similar to the Asians.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Interesting. I'm English and Irish.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

So am I. Mostly English, Irish and French with a tiny bit of German blood.

A relative with 100% Irish ancestry who took a DNA test was told he was Scandinavian. Those Vikings got around!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

*Yankiwi* I am in Northern Ireland and yes those Vikings from Norway arrived in island of Ireland around 795. The Danish Vikings arrived around 849 and fought the Norse Vikings. In 1014 the Vikings were overpowered by the then Irish High King Brian Boru. A lot of Viking Culture remained. My own name before marriage is of Scandinavian descent.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

My own name before marriage is of Scandinavian descent.
That's pretty cool!