Associations between RLS & Asperger's & Other conditions

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
MJDK

Associations between RLS & Asperger's & Other conditions

Post by MJDK »

Can anyone address the frustrating association between RLS and Asperger's, myoclonus, hypnic jerks, benign fasciculation syndrome, insomnia, brain vibrations? While I have severe RLS - - - - my son, who is 43 ---- has suffered for 2 years with a variety of symptoms. It started with muscle twitches (fasciculations), which spread from his legs to arms to torso -- to brain. He experienced terrifying brain vibrations while sleeping. He had every test in the books by neurologists --- everything is normal. Right now his sleep is primarily interrupted by hypnic jerks which happen repeatedly --- whether when trying to sleep at night or take a nap in the day time. He doesn't have the typical RLS symptom of intense need to move his arms or legs - - - - - but in all the research the two of us have done --- there seems to be an overlap between his symptoms and mine and there has been some literature suggesting that low iron may also be the culprit in his symptoms. He's also suffered from OCD and anxiety since his teen years --- and as a toddler he did suffer night terrors. We are desperately trying to connect the pieces of a complex and difficult puzzle. I included the mention of Asperger's because I believe that he and my husband are both on the spectrum but neither has been diagnosed. They are both high functioning. But in my recent research - even low iron is suggested in the wide, wide and varied characteristics of autism spectrum disorders. I do hope someone will see this post and be able to share information or related resources to help us find answers. Thank you in advance.

Rustsmith

Re: Associations between RLS & Asperger's & Other conditions

Post by Rustsmith »

I have not heard of any associations between RLS and those conditions, other than anxiety and insomnia. Insomnia is part of RLS and lack of sleep can easily cause anxiety (and panic attacks). The one suggestion would be to check his iron levels and to try oral iron supplements if his ferritin is below 75. It wouldn't hurt to try and might help so long as it was checked again occasionally to make sure they don't get too high.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Re: Associations between RLS & Asperger's & Other conditions

Post by badnights »

MJDK wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:20 pm
Can anyone address the frustrating association between RLS and Asperger's, myoclonus, hypnic jerks, benign fasciculation syndrome, insomnia, brain vibrations? While I have severe RLS - - - - my son, who is 43 ---- has suffered for 2 years with a variety of symptoms. It started with muscle twitches (fasciculations), which spread from his legs to arms to torso -- to brain. He experienced terrifying brain vibrations while sleeping. He had every test in the books by neurologists --- everything is normal. Right now his sleep is primarily interrupted by hypnic jerks which happen repeatedly --- whether when trying to sleep at night or take a nap in the day time. He doesn't have the typical RLS symptom of intense need to move his arms or legs - - - - - but in all the research the two of us have done --- there seems to be an overlap between his symptoms and mine and there has been some literature suggesting that low iron may also be the culprit in his symptoms. He's also suffered from OCD and anxiety since his teen years --- and as a toddler he did suffer night terrors. We are desperately trying to connect the pieces of a complex and difficult puzzle. I included the mention of Asperger's because I believe that he and my husband are both on the spectrum but neither has been diagnosed. They are both high functioning. But in my recent research - even low iron is suggested in the wide, wide and varied characteristics of autism spectrum disorders. I do hope someone will see this post and be able to share information or related resources to help us find answers. Thank you in advance.
I heard of low iron in ASD as well. There are links with ADD/ADHD and WED/RLS - namely that mothers with WED are more likely to have children with ADHD or ADD. My son has ADD, anxiety, a bit more OCD than the average joe, and he and I both are undiagnosed on the spectrum (using the Aspie Quiz for neurodiversity). He also has had WED symptoms but they haven't become a problem for him.

I wish I could help you, but I don't have any useful information. Maybe searching for links between yourselves is not the right direction. Your son does not have WED/RLS (no urge to move). You share a lot of genes and a number of symptoms, but concentrating on the overlap might make the puzzle even more confusing. There are lots of movement disorders with involuntary movements; or this may be brand new.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.