Heightened RLS in kids at anxious moments

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
rippkat

Heightened RLS in kids at anxious moments

Post by rippkat »

Has anyone else had the experience of having a child with RLS whose attacks primarily come when s/he feels anxious? My daughter gets a 5-10 minute attack at times of transition, i.e.: going to a new class, meeting new people, hearing parents express disapproval/give consequence, having to do a chore s/he hates?

I know RLS is real and her tendency toward anxiety in new situations is real -- I have both, so the poor kid got them from me -- but I have never heard of RLS coming at these kinds of times.

I find myself wondering if she is using her RLS to get mom off the discipline track and/or to get extra attention and support in new situations, but in a negative way instead of just asking for the support she needs.

Comments? Info?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry this post went unanswered for so long. Probably because none of us have any idea! Anything is possible. Stress definitely causes changes in the release of brain chemicals. Since RLS is affected by having a low uptake of dopamine, I guess that somehow stressful situations could induce that and cause symptoms. But I surely don't know if that really happens!

You're in a tough place - as a parent I'd feel terrible if I assumed she was acting out, when indeed it was a biological function! On the other hand, you don't want a behavior to get our of control if you have an opportunity to help her in some way.

Maybe you can try some cognitive-behavioral stuff dealing with anxiety and transitions in general and see if that helps. It could lessen the chemical response, thereby stopping the 'attack' or it could lessen the behavior that starts the 'attack.' Either way, you would get the result you are looking for.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.