RLS medications affecting fertility

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Toto22

RLS medications affecting fertility

Post by Toto22 »

Has anyone experienced fertility problems or seen any information on RLS medications(paticularly Mirapex) afecting fertility?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Toto, have you done any Web research? I'm guessing none of us here have had problems or someone would have said something.

I did a quick search and found this not that Dr Buchfurer posted on the www.rlshelp.org site:

"Mirapex has not been studied yet in humans with respect to pregnancy and conception, but there is considerable animal data (in rats). There have been some issues in female rats about decreased implantation (of the newly formed embryo) with very high doses of Mirapex. This would of course decrease female fertility. There were no adverse effects noted on fetal-embryonic development once implantation occurred, even with doses of very high doses of Mirapex (71 times that of 1.5 mg three times per day). "

http://www.rlshelp.org/rlscomp25.htm You could try writing him and see what he says.

Mirapex was probably tested primarily on population who isn't trying to get pregnant. I don't know how many women have taken it for RLS that are child-bearing. It probably isn't a huge number, which makes it even more difficult.

Good luck finding anything. If you do, please let us know.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.