Children and RLS

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.

Children and RLS

Post by Guest »

My son was recently diagnosed with RLS. I am interesting in hearing from other parents who have requested modifications and general understanding in school. I am also hearing from parents whose children have struggled academically because of challenges presented by RLS. No one in my son's school has ever heard of children suffering from RLS, so I am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Thanks so much for your help! :D

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I wish you all the luck in the world on this. The best thing you can do is look at the sticky posts on this and on the "New to RLS" site. There is a brochure for children with RLS available but it is mainly for physicians. Let me see if I can connect you with Karla Dzienkowski. She a registered nurse and a member of the Foundation's Board of Directors. Her daughter has RLS and I know she probably has more information than I could give you. I'll get back with you soon.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Here's Karla's email address. She can probably help you as much as anyone I know. karladz@att.net Hope this helps.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Hi and welcome

Post by becat »

Great advice and direction Ruby.
I can only add that every state has a education code for special needs children. Most people think it's just for handicaps you can see or know about, not the case.
If your son has a letter from his or her doctor stating that he has special needs in any form or fashion, it's possible that RLS (way possible) effects his preformance (sp?) in class and for homework.
I know in the state of Texas it's under the heading special needs or special education #504. This protects children with any special needs, if it can be proven, not only in the classroom, but with testing requirements and grading. Meaning that if your son needs to move in class, he's allowed, as long as he's not a behavior problem. Also, he may show the same signs as an ADD or ADHD child, this would allow them to make his test shorter, given or taken verablly, homework assignments might be modified as well. None of these things means that any child covered by such rules isn't smart or can't do the work, just means that they might learn or need considerations to do as well as peers. My son is so very smart, tested out that way too, but RLS was misdiagnosed as ADHD and the school wanted him on medications. I did allow him to try the medications and they worked well for him, thankfuly. His RLS is mild and it's been ok. However, because he had a hard time sitting and doing his work for the class, he was flagged as a behavior problem. Never, let this happen, it's hard to get the staff past that sometimes.
Most teachers and most admin., nurses, educators want to know about the kids, problems and helpful hints. They are teachers for a reason, a good ones. You can always make an appt. with all of his teachers and explain what RLS is, what is happening, and give your son that extra boost, that way.
Always list it on the medical problems list on the school records, as it is a medical problem.
I'm certain Ruby is right and Karla will be of great help to you.
Have hope.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi, it's Jan

I just wanted to add my "two cents" worth. I live in Illinois, and we have a "no child left behind" law. There are many children who suffer from things not exactly in the category of ordinary "special education" who DO get help. There had to be a first ADHD child who received help, a first physically handicapped child who received help, etc.

I have a close relative who works as a supervisor in a special education district, so I know these things to be true.

I would encourage you to talk to your child's teachers, the administrators of the school and the school nurse, etc. Ask for a "meeting"--where all of these people are together at one time. This can be done.

Good luck with your child. I hope everything works out for his good! Every child deserves the best education he or she can get, even if that child has to walk back and forth in the back of the room from RLS!!

Please let us know what happens. We care here!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

Kids/sleep/headaches

Post by becat »

Thought I'd add this from my alerts. Makes sense and is proven out in adults as well as kiddos.
It was nice to know someone is looking into the problem involving children.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/11 ... RSS_PUBLIC

Post by Guest »

Thank you to everyone for your help and support. We are having a meeting on Tuesday morning with my son's principal, school nurse, and every teacher who works with him on a regular basis. We are fortunate to have this opportunity to educate those with whom he will have regular contact, and are going to be writing a 504 plan for him. He is very bright, but has spent the past three years in school struggling to focus in order to learn to read. It's almost a relief to have figured out what it wrong. So far, we have received nothing but wonderful support from school personnel. Will let you know how it goes, and will contact Karla!!

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I'm so happy that you are getting the ball rolling! I'm familiar with 504 plans and that's exactly what I was talking about. The meeting you're having (called an I.E.P. here in IL) is the first step in seeing that your child receives the best education possible. There are a lot of children who are "square pegs", for many reasons---I have one who is now an adult. He's also very bright. It's great to see parents who care so much! Thanks for your update! Good LUCK!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

kalars69

Child with RLS & School District

Post by kalars69 »

The Section 504 is a 1973 National law-predecessor to IDEA; basically ensures that any medical condition (doctors part) will be accommodated and assistance provided. Range disability could be ADHD -less stim classroom to Diabetes and insulin inject during school hours. Wide
IDEA ensure that education is provided - a child is not "stuck" in inappropriate classroom or inadequate education because they have a disability. Kelly-Ann kalars69@yahoo.com