myotonia congenita and rls

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
aba

myotonia congenita and rls

Post by aba »

i have myotonia congenita, an unusual form of Muscular Dystrophy. I have had symptoms of rls for 20+ years now. I find relief in Quinine Sulfate, which I take 4x daily @ 320mg. I have been on Quinine since I was in the 2nd grade. Just curious if anyone has ever tried that. It used to be over the counter but now is by rx only. Just thought i'd mention it.
Good luck.

matt_uk

Post by matt_uk »

Hi Aba,

I've been trying to find someone out there who has both myotonia and rls. I've had rls since my late teens and developed myononia congenita in my early twenties. I know there are several forms of myotonia congenita - at the moment they call mine paralysing myotonia or paramyotonia.

I have been treated with quinine sulphate but I find the benefits wear off after about two to three months and need a gap of six months before its effective again. I'm currently treated with sinimet - a parkinson's disease drug that has helped quite a bit for a couple of years, but now the rls symptoms are getting worse than ever and my doc is changing my drug treatment to Requip, another pd drug, but I'm told has greatest benefit for rls sufferers. Will let you know how I get on.

I'm interested to know how much pain you suffer from as you have both myotonia and rls. I find that the jumping legs and arms of rls really pull on my muscles as they go myotonic and this can be very painful. Do you have this problem.

It's great to finally establish there is someone else in the world with both these conditions. Thanks for your posting. :)