Can a brain injury trigger or cause RLS?

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Carol Ann

Can a brain injury trigger or cause RLS?

Post by Carol Ann »

To Whom It May Concern:

About 30 years ago, I was physically assaulted. A person hit me on my head with a hammer. I had to have about 20 stitches on top of my head. Fortunately, I had no physical complications. It more than likely made my depression and anxiety problems worse. Could it possibly have caused or triggered the RLS I have. Please reply. Thanks!

Carol Ann Sondergaard
Csondergaard22@wmconnect.com

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Carol Ann, it's not on any list I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. RLS is either primary (genetic, usually) or secondary, which means something else brought it on. The earlier it started, the more likely it is primary. There was a recent post on the many things that can cause secondary RLS.

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1840

Hope that helps some. If the accident did cause it, it doesn't matter in terms of the treatment for RLS (you can't undue what happened), though I'm sure the event will always matter to you. For other causes of secondary RLS, like diabetes or iron deficiency, treating the underlying condition often helps or removes the RLS. That would be a good reason to find out why you have RLS.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

JudyH

Post by JudyH »

Can a brain injury trigger RLS? Obviously.