RLS and Seizures

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
clminpa

RLS and Seizures

Post by clminpa »

I am new to this sight and hope someone can help me.
I have been fighting RLS for over a year now and was diagnosed also with having seizures while I sleep. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that has the same problem.
I have been trying to find the right medications for my RLS and seizures. My neurologist first put me on medicine the she thought would help with both but it didn't. Now she has be on Zonegran 325mg (working up to 400mg) and Requip the starter package.
The Requip helped with the pain I was experiencing but I don't know how much of this sleepiness and dizzy I can take.
Any suggestions from anyone? I have though of doing something natural for the RLS but that is a severe case too.
Please feel free to email me at: c_minich@doglover.com with any suggestions that would be of help. I might not check this sight too often.
Thanks,
Cindy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've never had seizures - I hope they resolve that quickly! Many of the anti-seizure meds do help RLS, though, so maybe that will be the case for you.

Many people get "used" to the Requip (or any of the drugs we take that affect the CNS) within a few days to a couple of weeks. You can try splitting your dose and see if that helps. Not sure how much you take of how often, but say if you take .5 mg at 8 PM, you could try .25 at 8:00 and .25 at 10:00. This often helps, especially with nausea.

Requip didn't work for me, but Mirapex always made me tired. It was like a knock-out drug for me. About 2 hours after I took it, I was going to bed. Period. If I was at my BIL's an hour away, and we'd leave when I was already tired, I'd sleep in the car - something I've not done since I was a child.

Good luck with your getting the right dose and getting the side effects worked out. I would hope that within a few weeks you'd have worked through the majority of it and would be OK. If not, Mirapex is a goos option to try. You take less of it and it lasts a little longer. The downside is that it takes a little longer to work.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.