I can't keep this up much longer!

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
pregnant&hurting

I can't keep this up much longer!

Post by pregnant&hurting »

:( I am currently almost 25 weeks pregnant, but a couple of months ago, I went to the doctor and complained about RLS symptoms. My doctor took blood and I began a prenatal vitamin with magnesium, iron and B12 supplements hoping that the adjustment would make a big difference in my symptoms. It hasn't and I still continue to take the vitamins today. I complained further and asked for a referral to a neurologist. My doctor instead sent me for an EMG, which came back "basically normal." Of course it did because it was done during the day when the symptoms least bother me. I advised my doctor and he suggested I see a neurologist (no kidding, I think I mentioned that quite a while ago). I can't get into one until August sometime and am on a cancellation list!

I'm dying over here! :( I don't sleep. Not good when I also work full-time during the day, just moved, have three other kids and husband to take care of. I was in tears last night and could cry today too. I'm literally dead on my feet. I thought about resting on my lunch hour, however, I don't want to be stuck tonight not being able to sleep again. Maybe if I'm that exhausted I might just pass out.

All of the reading that I've been doing is suggestive that I should wait to take medications because of the effects during pregnancy, but isn't feeling like this just as bad for the baby? I keep wondering why more people don't commit suicide who have this problem. It's awful.

Please help.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Pregnant, the best info we have to offer is in the "sticky" post. There are meds you can take, but many doctors will not give them. One other way that may help is to use some of the RLS Rebels tactics. They are worth it and can really help when meds can't. www.rlsrebel.com.

Other than that, all we can offer is our empathy. It is horrid. One of our regulars went through a really rough time, like you, recently. She also thought of suicide.

Know our thoughts are with you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Tofi

Post by Tofi »

ViewsAskew wrote:Pregnant, the best info we have to offer is in the "sticky" post. There are meds you can take, but many doctors will not give them. One other way that may help is to use some of the RLS Rebels tactics. They are worth it and can really help when meds can't. www.rlsrebel.com.

Other than that, all we can offer is our empathy. It is horrid. One of our regulars went through a really rough time, like you, recently. She also thought of suicide.

Know our thoughts are with you.
I have had restless legs for over 10 years. I now take one tylenol number three (has codiene) at night and it helps me. My restless legs has gotten better over the years. I don't work now. I was on Sinimet a Parkinson's drug in the past

brandy

Post by brandy »

Oh, pregnant, I'm so sorry. How awful to be struggling so in addition to your pregnancy. I don't know if everyone will agree with this, but after a lifetime of RLS, I have found that sometimes I just need to rest when I can. Sleep hygeine (going to bed and getting up at the same time, no naps, no caffeine, etc) is important, but in really difficult times you might have to take naps. I tried avoiding naps, but didn't sleep any better at night because of the RLS and just ended up more exhausted. Honey, you sound lilke you need some rest and soon! Take it when it comes. Do you have family or friends who can offer you support through this. Feel free to come here and ask questions and vent and cry and whatever else you need. Many of us have had that absolutely desperate feeling and can relate. You will find support and care here. Let us know how we can help.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Trini

Pregnantandhurting

Post by Trini »

my thoughts and hope that you find some kind of help; I have RLS and sometimes when the wee hrs of the night/morning approach and I am sleepy but cannot fall asleep I do feel suicidal after about 2 to 3 nights of very little sleep; presently I am taking hydrocodone, a pain medication and I rub Ben-gay ointment on the bothering leg, then use a blow dryer to the musles that has the crawley feeling; don't know for sure what is working but I do get some sleep(probably about 3-4hrs); I do still sleepy during the hrs of 2pm to when I leave my job for the day;
has anyone mentioned this e-book my Marie Goodwin for $29.95; I was reading about it(it came up as a website when I searched for RLS help, using google search engine) and she claims she has the answer for RLS, or your money back;

ctravel12

I can't keep this up much longer

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Trini and welcome to this group. I am so sorry that you have rls, but you have a wonderul and caring supportive group.

Sleep deprivation can me one of the worst things to happen to anyone.

In regards to the book from Marie Goodwin, I would check it out thoroughly before purchasing it.

There are so many of these people that say "they have the answer for rls". For example last year when I was at my worse I saw something on the internet for a pill called Neurosil. They offered to send you samples and that was last June when I sent for it and as of today, I have received nothing. What does that tell you.

Trini read alot of the old and new post and especially the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS". There is an article from Mayo Clnic Algorithm. If you are able to print it out, it would be worthwhile to bring it to your dr. It is also so important to educate yourself as much as you can about rls before seeing a dr.

I hope that this info is of some help to you.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

honey, if you can take ambien ask your doctor for it. that is what my ob/gyn gave me while i was pregnant. also if you are hurting, you can take tylenol 3 or vicodin, at least that is what my dr gave me during all 3 of my pregnancy's and they are all perfectly normal, well except the teenager but that is self explanatory! Just ask your dr.

dee
not a doctor or claim to be just adding my experience, please consult your dr before you take any medicine.
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

waterloo2

Pregnant

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi

Doest your hubby help you he should.

gill

:o