Get tested for ferritin

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
xzqx

Get tested for ferritin

Post by xzqx »

I'm cross-posting this on some different forums. But I think this is important esp. for pregnant women. I am trying to get pregnant and tried a lot of different ways to control my RLS without drugs, and this one worked for me. My ferritin levels were slightly low, so my doc prescribed iron supplementation. See the post in non-pharmaceutical therapies:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?p=18956#18956
-Anne

ctravel12

get tested for ferritin

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Anne, read the forum "Special Populations" as there is a sticky post for pregnancy and rls. I am sure this will be of help to you. Before taking any meds, I would talk to your dr first since you are trying to get pregnant. Hope all goes well with you. Keep us posted on how you are doing. This is a great group and very supportive so keep asking all kinds of questions.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

xzqx

Post by xzqx »

This <b>is</b> the forum "Special Populations", is it not?

I did read the Pregnancy & RLS sticky post. I wanted to emphasise that ferritin testing might be the right thing for some pregnant women. Obviously you should ask your doctor if it is OK, but mine said it was. Iron is not a med, it is just a vitamin -- but you should still ask.
-Anne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Just wanted to add that taking iron can be dangerous if iron is not low to start. It takes a LONG time to build up, so it's not an immediate danger - but it your ferritin is not low and you take iron, you can get a condition called hemachromatosis. Not fun at all! Always best to get both your hemoglobin and ferritin tested before taking a substantial amount of iron.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

get tested for ferritin

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Anne - Sorry I did not realize that I was on the Special Populations. I was just trying to offer some advise. I hope that I did not offend you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

DAMoquin

Post by DAMoquin »

I constantly have a low ferritin level, but my iron level is fine. Does that make sense? My neuro is very interested in tracking my RLS/PLMD symptoms once I start taking a high potency iron supp

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

DAMoquin wrote:I constantly have a low ferritin level, but my iron level is fine. Does that make sense? My neuro is very interested in tracking my RLS/PLMD symptoms once I start taking a high potency iron supp

Hi DA, and welcome.

Yes, that makes sense. Ferritin is stored iron (don't ask me where it's stored, though), and the RLS experts like to see it above 50 micrograms, even thought the normal range is something like 5-150 ug. If enough iron isn't taken into the system, the body takes the ferritin and uses it for blood cells. When they measure your "iron" they are measuring the amount of hemoglobin, not the amount of iron stored in your body. Before you become anemic, your body will use up all the iron stores (ferritin).

Somehow, the low ferritin levels can make RLS worse.

Mine was tested recently and it was 8.3. My primary doctor says that's enough, but the "experts" say it's not. So I'm taking Niferex 150, a supplement for pregnant woman. I'm not pg, but my stomach is really sensitive to iron, and that stuff works for me. I've been low on iron since I was pregnant the first time, though, and tend to run anemic due to those darned female issues.

Susan

DAMoquin

Post by DAMoquin »

My last ferritin was 8.1 and I'm taking Vitron C. Hopefully that will help. Thanks so much for the info

rtlegpain

Post by rtlegpain »

Take B-complex as well. I have been on 650mg of ferrous gluconate since September and have finally gotten relief from my RLS since January.