RLS and headches

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
carolynsuetoo

Blaming Requip? But...

Post by carolynsuetoo »

Remember that I thought that Requip was bringing me episodes of sleep apnea.....and that my doctor did not think that Requip was responsible...well....

That first dosage was 1 mg Requip.....when she asked me to try it again...we kept to 0.5 mg....no problems...no sleep apnea noticed yet and my RLS was in check...I was happy

Recently after running out, and not picking up prescription right away, then leaving for weekend...getting back-I accidentally started using the 1 mg. Requip...back to sleep apnea episodes....realizing what I had done..got my refill for 0.5 and guess what...NO episode of sleep apnea....in fact I had a good night sleep...hope it continues

I just wanted to claify...didn't want to make Requip sound bad and responsible, if it wasn't...okay

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

That is great you can manage on 0.5mg of requip. I got as far as 2mg and still no results from it.

As for the sleep study I had mine done a year ago. That was the first thing they did when they heard my symptoms and figured I had RLS. My results showed:

I had no resp arousals at all meaning The chance of apnea is none.
My PLM Arouals were: 1 in rem sleep, 58 in non-rem sleep, and 59 in sleep.
My spontantous arousels were: 3 in rem sleep, 29 in non-rem sleep, and 32 in sleep.
Giving a total of arousals at 92
Now if we break this down into /hr then I have:
PLM ARO 1.3/hr in rem, 11.9/hr in non-rem, and 10.5/hr in sleep
SPON ARO 4.0/hr rem, 5.9/hr non-rem, and 5.7/hr sleep
Giving me a 16.4/hr of arousals when I'm sleeping.
So they then break it down again to a PLM index which mine came out to be 10.5/hr so if you look at the hour that means I have a arousal evey 6 mins throughout the night. Well if you wake or say your brain wakes evey 6 mins then your basically not getting much sleep and very seldom can make it to a rem sleep which is where you get your most rest and keeps you from being so tired during the day. They say a PLM index of <5 is considered normal.

Now my next ? to eveyone is what about dreams? How many ppl remember their dreams? I know I don't never have remembered dreams. I always just figured I didn't dream. Well it turns out that a person doesn't dream until they reach rem sleep. Well if I never make it to rem or I make it just long enough to be awaken then that would explain why I don't remember dreams. I don't have them. Interesting isn't it.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

carolynsuetoo

Do you think "that" was good news!

Post by carolynsuetoo »

I just got the call, and the doctors office has my results from the initial sleep study. If I do not have sleep apnea, then Requip, when I was taking the 1 mg was responsible for what was going on. Right now, I am taking .5mg, a couple of times I took the 1mg to see and I woke up trying to catch my breath. I see the doctor Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

Your sleep study suggests that you do not sleep welll, but we need sleep. What do they suggest you do? Sleeping pills? Is the sleep that comes from pills, the same type of sleep that we need?

I wish you sleep!

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

No not sleeping pills. That does not help with the plmd i have. Yes it will help you sleep maybe for most of us it doesn nothing. My sleep study suggest I move all night which is the cause of no sleep. So they try to treat the cause and not the lack of sleep but the cause of why we dont sleep

carolynsuetoo

treat the symptoms but not a cure

Post by carolynsuetoo »

The last thing that I want to do is take medication...even sleep meds...I have just wanted them (medical industry) to fix it....to stop the Restless Leg....

does anyone know for sure...is there any real investigation as to why there is such a thing as RLS...or do they just try to find medication to treat it...anyone? a Gene? a neck or spine irregularity or injury?

here...have some pills....

right?
does anyone have children who have it....it is something that I pray that I haven't past down to my children...my kids are 26, 23, and 18...pretty sure my 18 year old had symptoms when baby...he doesn't complain now...I wonder if he will someday

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

well i dont know about your children but my mom, dad, and his mother (grandmother) all have it. So its both parents and then me, so im pretty sure one of three of my children probably have it.

And yes there are tons of research being done on rls however its a lot like parkinsons and they are having a really hard time trying to find the cause. Some say its due to low iron others say its from genes and then others say its both no one really knows but there are facts that show it is hereditary and yet there are facts that show its low iron. most ppl who have low iron dont have a blood relevtive that have it but ppl that have hereditary have several blood releatives. This is where the primaray and secondary comes to play. They figure if you have family with it then its a primaray form otherwise its secondary meaning it comes from a medical condition or from certian medications. So to sum it up no no one really knows where or how we get it. however they can at least pinpoint where or how we got it. Like me I am whats considered a primary case cuz my mom dad and grams have it. Where others have no family memebers with it so therefore they are secondary and a medical condition caused or is causing it most typical is low iron or magnisium. So it is a play as we go condition and try to find whats right and for most of us it takes drugs to deal with the every bearing ordeal of trying to sleep night after night. Or in my case and many others here to deal with everyday living in general.

I have been through a year and half of medications to try and control my rls and so have a few others here. but nothing seems to work. Now they are saying its low iron so I have been taking a iron supplement but after three days of it things seem to be worse than with nothing at all. So who knows but I will tell you it gets very discouraging and dissappointing that they can not find whats right with me.

Good luck to you I sure hope sleep is not a issue nor your days a bear to deal with. Becat and myself both have 24 hour 7 day a week rls where we deal with it as we sit in our chairs at work and then come home to sleep with it. gets very upsetting for us.

carolynsuetoo

Headachs do not seem to be a factor for me.

Post by carolynsuetoo »

Although I have had plenty headaches during my many years. Headaches do no seem to be related. It used to be that I had many more headaches than RLS episodes. Now, I have more RLS than headaches.

How are you? Have you found prescriptions that help you? I would rather not take medications, but this is a world where they treat a symptom instead of looking for cure. Sorry, but I do not like taking medications. Kind of scares me to take stuff like that for the next 30-50 years if I live that long. It certainly is better than suffering with RLS eposides.

I hope you have a good night. It is late, I was just checking emails and found your message, and wanted to respond. Take care.
Carolyn