Toxins/Massage

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
JudyH

Toxins/Massage

Post by JudyH »

All of these populations have conditions that cause a diminishment of the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and/or the build up of toxins in the blood. Many people also complain that they have much worse RLS after exercise. That is certainly my experience. As we know, aerobic exercise causes a build up of lactic acid in the muscles. Maybe restless leg is nothing more than some people's hyper-response to the build up of certain chemical toxins like lactic acid from anoxia in their tissues, compounded by a condition which impairs or stresses their circulation, whether clinical or subclinical. The only thing that really works is getting these toxins out, and getting some oxygen rich blood to the area to affect the tissue repair.
Maybe the reason MSG causes problems is because it is a salt which increases fluid retention (edema) and by this means decreases oxygen perfusion. Obviously, the same thing that happens in renal failure. In my experience, the only thing that is needed is mechanical massage to increase oxygenation and perfusion of the legs. Of course, the pharmaceutical companies aren't going to like that. But, just get a leg massage machine, and you will no longer have RLS. I know. I had a very severe case for years and years. I tried virtually every single non-pharma method listed here, and massage is the ONLY thing that works for any significant period of time and works very well.
This is not primarily about neurotransmitters. It's about the circulatory system.
Last edited by JudyH on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Judy,

Like you, I have tried gobs of non-pharma remedies over many years. Unfortunately, massage does not eliminate my RLS. In fact, it can actually worsen it (so do a few other things that help other people). The state of relaxation that it puts me in sets off the RLS. I do get temporary relief from actually hitting the muscles very hard, but that lasts only for a few minutes.

That said, I am thrilled that it does remove yours. I hope it continues to for a long, long time. This may work for others - and I hope it does. It may not, however as so far, there is not one thing that works equally well for all of us. Additionally, some of us have RLS is place - such as our faces or genitals, where massage is very difficult to do.

You have put a lot of thought into your theory. There are, however, other medical theories based on a growing body of research and I would be remiss if I didn't point that out. Some of this research does show that there is indeed a problem with iron in the brain, and that this problem with iron does cause a problem with dopamine. While they have not figured it all out (far from it), and they may find that this research about dopamine is a red herring, at this time this is the medical communities best answer as to what is involved with RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

JudyH

Post by JudyH »

Yes Anne, I will take note of the fact that some people have Restless Leg Syndrome of the "genitals and face" and it's fairly obvious that there may be some problem with iron in the brain of some sufferers. Thank you for your informative reply.