Iron helped during pregnancy

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
kalae_l

Iron and Pregnancy

Post by kalae_l »

I had RLS with my first pregnancy. Would probably be considered a mild case but it was annoying and frequent! With my second pregnancy the doctor prescribed iron pills on top of my pre-natal vitamins that had iron in them. Not for RLS but just a general need. I had no RLS at all with that pregnancy! I'm pretty confident that my RLS comes from lack of iron. I had it occassionally as a kid too but not as a teenager or young adult. During that period I ate a lot of meat. I wonder if people who have RLS due to low iron have an inability to hold iron effectively in their system? Nowadays I will get RLS occassionally. I take a multi-vitamin regularly with iron but that's not enough. Once I start getting RLS only eating red meat will get me back on track.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You are absolutely right. Iron is implicated in RLS. The problem is that some of us can take iron and it has no effect - it's a brain barrier problem. Yet others can take iron and it does help. Sure glad it helped you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.