rls & pregnancy - affecting my arm too?

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
cootiemcboob

Post by cootiemcboob »

hi,

i've dealt with RLS for as long as i can remember. my dad and neice have it as well. it didn't affect me enough to feel like i needed a prescription to relieve it, it only came on 3-4 times a month. strangely, before i became pregnant, i had an obsession with chewing ice and my RLS came on a little stronger than usual. after talking to my mom, she informed me that she had the same thing and her doc said she had anemia. i had bloodwork done and was not anemic or didn't have low levels of iron, however, taking a daily vitamin plus iron seemed to help.

so, i am in my 5 month of pregnancy and all of a sudden it seems to have come on strong out of nowhere and i can't sleep unless i'm sitting propped up on the couch. i feel the sensations in my right arm as well. has anyone else felt the sensations anywhere else besides their legs? its definately the same sensations - i need to move my arm around for it to feel like there's not ants crawling around in my shoulder.

thanks!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi, sorry you're dealing with RLS in addition to the regular discomforts of pregnancy. (It will be worth it, though!)

It is not uncommon to have RLS sensations in the arms and elsewhere in the body. Mine almost always starts in my arms and then progresses to my torso and down my legs.

It's harder for me to deal with it in my arms - I usually end up beating on them. With the legs, I just need to get up and walk. It's still a pain, especially when I get hit with a full body squirmy attack just as I'm warm and comfy and drifting off to sleep.

Fortunately, my RLS is mostly controlled by meds now. That's something you can talk to your doctor about; there are some that are safe during pregnancy. But there's also hot and cold packs, massage, walking, etc.

Blessings with your pregnancy!

Susan

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Cootiemcboob and welcome to this group. I am glad that you found this site; however sad that you have rls especially with being pregnant.

What Susan said is true as you can have the rls elsewhere besides your legs; fortunately I only have it in my legs.

The forum that you are in now does talk about pregnancy. You may want to read some of the posts.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and talking to your dr to see if he can give you something (that will not harm the pregnancy) is a good thing to do.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

estelle

Post by estelle »

I get it often in my arms also.. it's worth the 20 bucks to go buy some 4 or 5 pound weights, and just lifting them for about 15 minutes/day.. I find it a lot easier to chase the RLS away from my arms than my legs.
It's worth a try ;)

cheers-
estelle