anxiety

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
waterloo2

anxiety

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi all

Is anyone here very nervous person
like me and do there legs jump at
anytime like me. Its sooooooooo
distressing isnt?

gill

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet »

I was looking around and saw your post. My RLS does not make me nervous, just grumpy from not getting enough sleep!

I am managing what's called Panic Attack Syndrome: which is to say I used to freak out for no logical reason. Being nervous and having anxiety are two different problems. Being nervous is part of our survival skills as a species. A few deep breaths and the person is good to go. It's like, you want to go to the concert so bad that you can override the "being nervous about getting there".

When your anxiety out weighs all of your "wants" is when being nervous becomes a problem. "Fight or Flight"

It can get so bad you may not be able to leave your house. You become so afraid of having an attack that you avoid everything.

I have no idea if my RLS contributed to my panic. However panic is a learned behavior and can be unlearned with therapy and medication.
Easier said then done! I am in a much better place then I was two years ago.

Getting the right tools: supportive friends and family, counseling and medication, can help you manage your situation.

HF
Anything I write down is my own opinion and not to be taken seriously. Just ask my husband.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Happyfeet Thank you for sharing this post. Very good.

I know I do not have panic attacks but do stress out on things which is not good and I really try hard not to. I know it is easier said then done but if you work at it is doable. Thanks again. I needed to hear this today.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Hang in there gill. I pray that you face this with your physician and we're here for you too. I talked to a gentleman on TeamSpeak a few nights ago who also has RLS and panic attacks in certain situations. You are surely not alone!

The Artist in the Mirror

Post by The Artist in the Mirror »

Hf,
I had panic attacks for many years and they are awful. They can improve but it takes time , its a hard disorder

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Gill

I too have an anxiety disorder and yes, when my RLS appears out of left field, it can have me in the midst of a panic attack in seconds.

My dear partner can atest to that as I suffered one about a month ago, one afternoon and had to ring him at work and through my tears, gnashing of teeth and thumping the bed with my legs, he finally figured out that I was in no fit state to drive and pick up the girls from school.

You are certainly not alone in this one. Anxiety/Panic Disorders are hard to manage, but with the right doctor and sometimes medications, they can be controlled.

Hugs to you
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Juls31

Post by Juls31 »

Hi Gill,

I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from being sexually assaulted when I was 13, which now causes panic attacks when certain subjects are brought up. ... Which causes anxiety about going out into the world because I have no clue what someone will say to me, what I will hear or see. Often when I am overly anxious or panicking I will find that my legs will not stop moving, thumping up and down, stretching, sometimes I will put my legs in very uncomfortable or painful positions to ease the discomfort. I do the same thing at any point of rest as well.

Not fun. Not fun at all. :(