my experience with restless leg syndrome and seizure

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
amanda in ca

my experience with restless leg syndrome and seizure

Post by amanda in ca »

I am a 41 year old woman suffering from chronic renal failure being treated with peritoneal dialysis. Until 2 years ago I had a functioning transplant for 10 years. Prior to that time I was on peritoneal dialysis for 18 months. During both periods of dialysis I have suffered from restless leg syndrome.

One of the things that has interested me is that I have noted that when I am suffering from restless leg syndrome then I am not suffering from pruritis resulting from high phosphate levels. When I am suffering from itching, then I don't get restless leg syndrome. this has led me to believe that there may be a link between the two.

Earlier this week I suffered my second ever, grand mal seizure. When I went to the emergency room, I experienced the worst restless leg syndrome episode that I have ever had. since then I have been suffering from restless leg syndrome again, not having suffered from it for some months.

Now what interests me is that my dose of doxepin has recently been increased and I have stopped taking a low dose of klonipine. This led me to look on the internet to see if there was a link with either of these medications. I now believe that it could be the increase in doxepin dose or cessation of klonipine doseage that has resulted in the onset of seizures. Reading articles about these medications leads me to think that there is a relationship between the causes of seizures and restless leg syndrome, notably as a result of a reduction in the threshold potential of neurones in the brain. I am interested to know if other people have noted the same thing. Amanda

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Amanda,

You sound like you've done lots of research. I can only add a little to what you already know. People with renal failure have a high rate of getting RLS, as you've already found out! Doxepin in an older tricylclic drug and they are known to aggravate RLS. Klonipin (clonazapam) has long been used to treat RLS and often works well (notwithstanding the addition and daytime sleepiness issues).

The Southern California support group has a list of meds to avoid, ones to use, and a doctor that will answer email questions. It might be worth a visit to his site. http://www.rlshelp.org/rlshomepage.htm

Welcome to the group. Hope that you find the info that will help reduce the RLS. . .

Ann