Ferritin Question

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
fenris

Ferritin Question

Post by fenris »

Hello all -

I know the suggested ferritin level is 50, but I don't know what the range is. The reason I need to know that is that my ferritin level is 14, in a range of 10-26, and I don't know what number I should be shooting for.

Anybody know off hand hand what the range is on this test?

Thanks,

fenris

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Each lab has different values, but here is a very general set of numbers:

less than 15-20: considered low for general population

between 15 -150-200: considered normal for woman

between 15-200-250: considered normal for men

Over 200-250: too high

For RLS, we want anything over 50 and up to probably 250. With a transfusion, it can go higher temporarily but usually comes down.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

KBear

Post by KBear »

My ferritin recently tested at 40 (not too bad) so I'm taking iron supplements to try and get it over 50 (my serum iron level was also low).
The reference range on my blood test report says 6-200 but at least 50-60 is desirable if you have RLS.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

venus

my ferritin is listed as normal at 7!

Post by venus »

after reading all the posts on this subject, i looked at my bloodwork...which i picked up myself becuase docs have told me many times over the years my bloodwork was fine when it actually wasnt...so im used to just getting them myself and checking and then asking when i see something highlighted from the lab.

myferritin level is 7 and it is considered in the normal range (6.2 - 137) and had not my IRON SAT been highlighted as low (13) my docs would have said my iron was normal.

venus

p.s.

Post by venus »

my doc told me to take a multi vitamin with iron... i talked with the pharmacist (a friend) and we decided that ferrous sulfate was a better choice for me... although i am only taking one a day.

bloodwork in a cpl months will tell all i suppose....and i WILL let my doc know what ive been taking...so if its raised, he wont think a multi vitamin did it.

on another note, my sisters friend told her that she has to take iron for anemia of some sort and that she cant take the iron tablets with lots of different thing....like no milk and a bunch of other items becuase of absorbtion issues.. I have asked her to get the list of things she isnt supposed to take with her iron. anyone hear of this?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some things interfere with the absorption of iron, a few things help it.

Acid - such as vitamin C from orange juice - helps absorption. So does an empty stomach.

Things like coffee and tea interfere with absorption.

A good overview of the topic is in this document here or in this other document here.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

venus

thanks

Post by venus »

will check them out.

1mainpain

Re: Ferritin Question

Post by 1mainpain »

I have heard from a neurologist ferritin is supposed to be at least 35 mine unfortunately is 7.5 ouch

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

1mainpain wrote:I have heard from a neurologist ferritin is supposed to be at least 35 mine unfortunately is 7.5 ouch

It should be at least 50. Mine was 8 when I started out, too. It's around 35 the last I checked - need to do it again soon as it's been awhile.

What are you doing to increase it?

Managing Your RLS

1mainpain

Post by 1mainpain »

dr kicked can down the road to gastro I see thur. I don't know what to do

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You can take iron - you know it's low. The RLS doctors suggest taking oral iron 3 times a day. They usually suggest ferrous sulfate, 325 mig, 65 mg of elemental iron. Take it with orange juice or vitamin C to increase absorption. Take it without food if possible.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

The recommendation in one paper I referenced here recently was 75 mg for RLS/WED patients. Do advnaced search for ferritin and author badnights.
Or never mind, I did it. Look at this
bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8058&p=62957&hilit=ferritin+buchfuhrer#p62957
especially Item 4.

Edited Apr 19 2013 to fix link
Edited AGAIN May 9 2013 : the url tags aren't working - you will have to copy the link and paste it into the address bar of your web browser.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

peanut1

Post by peanut1 »

My ferratin level last checked out at 20 and I'm taking 2 iron supplements a day so I'm going to increase it to 3. Does it take a while for the iron increase to work for WED? I say this because when I upped it to 3 briefly, it didn't do a damn thing, but I'm guessing that it might take a while for it to actually improve the WED symptoms. I've also head through the grapevine that grain and msg decreases iron, but I guess that's okay if the ferratin level is at a decent level! Excellent post!!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

peanut1 wrote:My ferratin level last checked out at 20 and I'm taking 2 iron supplements a day so I'm going to increase it to 3. Does it take a while for the iron increase to work for WED? I say this because when I upped it to 3 briefly, it didn't do a damn thing, but I'm guessing that it might take a while for it to actually improve the WED symptoms. I've also head through the grapevine that grain and msg decreases iron, but I guess that's okay if the ferratin level is at a decent level! Excellent post!!!!

Yes, it takes what seems forever to increase it. If you take 3 a day (which is recommended), test it again in 3 months. If it's not increasing very much, you may have other problems or simply be one of the few who doesn't seem to be able to increase it and keep it increased.

Managing Your RLS