RLS and Plantar faciatis

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
jocinda

RLS and Plantar faciatis

Post by jocinda »

i have had RLS for over 25 years and it's getting worse with age. i also have plantar faciatis and have noticed that as my RLS prrogesses, the worse my feet get. i had custom insoles made two weeks ago and have not had a bit of relief. i'm just throwing this out wondering if there could be a connection. my sleep apnea went from moderate to severe in the same time line. i had to get off the mirapex that i was on for 7 years because i got a gambling obsession, since then i have been on Neurontin, topomax and ocycontin all with no relief. i'm now on methadone, i can sleep better at night, but i have to tough it out the rest of the day.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi again J, Also have PF related to a sports injury. It has remained somewhat constant despite the RLS. Actually, I say somewhat constant, as I often think that there are times when it is better or minimally noticeable. I can't remember if I felt this way before I started the neurontin of not or perhaps the ultram. Somehow I think it was holding its own before these meds but guess I won't know til I am off these med...if. Hope the orthotics help. The best I had were made or cork. I use a generic one now purchased through my podiatrist who feels that these are probably just as good as the prescription/custom made. Maybe that is here opinion for my particular case, though. Best of luck.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi again, Jocinda. :)

I don't know how to ask this delicately, so I'll just ask. Are you overweight at all? Because both obstructive sleep apnea and plantar fasciatis can be related to being overweight. And I've heard that Mirapex can cause weight gain, as well.

I used to have PF before I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 100 pounds. I've gained about 20 pounds of that back, and I'm on the edge of having the PF flare up again. Good arch supports are the key to happy feet for me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to offend you by asking about weight. Just thinking about the connection between various ailments.

I hope you can get some relief. PF can be so very painful.
Susan

jocinda

Post by jocinda »

hi: yes i am about 60 lbs overweight. was 106 when i got married 36 yrs ago. in 1980 i was diagnosed with hyper thyroidism, but instead of loosing weight, my metabolism flopped and i gained, i also take paxil for panic disorder and that too can add to weight gain. my easting habits are not the best, but i don't snack at night, drink sodas, and have small portions. not making excuses, because i know theres more i can do, just trying to fit it in a 40 hr work week, dr. apt's and trying to spend time with my grandbabies is the problem.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Jocinda,
I noticed in your post that you are taking Paxil. Are you aware that Paxil can and usually does make rls worse? There are other antidepressants that might work better for your rls, such as wellbutrin. You will find this info listed under meds that can worsen RLS. You might wish to print out that info and take it to your Dr to discuss.

My Dr put me on Paxil several yrs ago and I can personally say it make things alot worse for me, I began to have very bad PLMD. I knew it had to be the paxil after reading the RLS info about antidepressants and RLS, so I quit taking Paxil and all the symptoms went away. So its something that you might really need to research and talk with your Dr about. Plus once I was finally given a med that controled my RLS, I began to get more sleep and of course all the panic/antidepressant symptoms went away also. So many Drs think you are depressant when you come in looking down and tired, from lack of sleep due to RLS. So they give you an antidepressant, thinking its going to solve the problems and so many times it only makes your rls/plmd alot worse.
Certainly you need to research and take info to your Dr.

KBear

Post by KBear »

I have both RLS and PF too. I recommend giving the orthotics some time to work, wear them as recommended and you should get some relief within 3-4 weeks, don't expect to be back to 100% for many months. I do all right as long as I don't try to do too much walking (2.5 miles total per day is my limit). I started wearing a pedometer all day which has helped me determine how much is too much walking. When I over do it, it takes a day or two to recover.

Not sure that the two conditions are even remotely related a lot of people have PF, it's more common the RLS I think, so it makes sense that a certain portion of the RLS population will have PF too. Yes weight can be an issue, I started walking to address the weight issue and ended up with PF :cry: . I need to lose 20-30 lbs.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

jocinda

Post by jocinda »

thank for the advise, i will do my research. the paxil is for panic disorder, have had that for abt 30 years, was told welbutrin wouldn't be very beneficial for me, but i feel at this point i have to try everything. at least my Dr. took me off the oxcycontin. i wish i could just chuck all the pills! thanks again, it's nice to be able to vent to someone whio get's it.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi J., Also, a welcome to you. Have you tried a cortisone shot for the PF. Mine seemed to help a bit at least until the orthodics and just plain old time had a chance to help out a bit. Best of luck.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

jocinda

Post by jocinda »

thaks M. i thought of the cortisone shot, but frankly i think i'd rather milk a cobra. it just seems so coincidental that both problems seem to be progressing at the same rate. i can't find anything in my search that says their could be a connection.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My best guess is that it's just coincidental. But, it is weird when things like that happen.

I did a lot of research when I was struck with PF a few years ago. I couldn't find anything that was consistent with anything else. The studies that have been done pretty much show the treatments to be generally useless. Time and stretching are about your only real helps. If you are prone, get the right supports - high arches get it as often if not more often than low (they have farther to stretch when you put weight on the foot).

A chiro I knew who also had it (he was 145 pounds and an avid runner), said that he'd done as much research as possible. In his opinion, other than staying off it it as much as possible (each time you walk on it, you "re-tear" the original tear), the best thing was stretching.

Just last week, I saw a study that showed that a simple stretch done with the heel of one foot and the toes on the other was the most effective thing you could do....both for healing it and preventing it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

chefws

Post by chefws »

jocinda,
I agree with ViewsAskew, as in I think it is coincidental. I also have RLS and PF. I have orthotics and have had all the cortisone I can take for this year, to no avail. I am unable to rest my feet, as I am a chef, and have to be on them up to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.
I found this site to be helpful, there are some stretching exercises at the bottom. I just found it, and tried the lower excercize, and it really loosened up my achilles. I'm going to keep at it to see if it helps any.
Site link: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00149
I wish you the best of luck.

jocinda

Post by jocinda »

thanks chef,, i will add these excercises to my list. today i bought new cross trainers to put orthodics in, has anyone tried nights splints or stetchers with success?

KBear

Post by KBear »

The stretching exercises really do help but don't stop them just because you start to feel better. I have relapsed several times because the pain subsided and I became less diligent about stretching.

Yes there are drawbacks and limits for treatment with steroid shots as chef points out but I wouldn't rule it out. I had my left foot done and it did help alot (hurt like hell but only for a few seconds). I won't hesitate to get my right foot done if it gets as bad. For me it's a quality of life issue, I could barely leave the house.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Jocinda, aren't there other meds for panic disorder? I know Buspar is used for anxiety disorder, and it's not supposed to aggravate RLS. And good old Ativan does wonders for my sleep. :wink: And yes, I doubt Wellbutrin would help with anxiety; it makes a lot of people really hyper which can't be good for anxiety. I take it off and on because it helps with my leg kicking, and I usually quit taking it when I start getting too "energized."

I'm going to have to look up the exercises that Chef posted, because I have a tendency to get achilles tendonitis (ouch) and have very tight achilles tendons.
Susan

jocinda

Post by jocinda »

my husband and i are going to Arkansas and Virginia to see family for a week, after that i plan on finding another Dr. we live on an island in Washington State, and it's not that i have a problem with natural medicine, i just want to find someone with some common sense that will work with me, and not give me the same old lets wait and see speech. maybe i should threaten to put in a drive thru espresso stand, bet that would get their attention. my new Dr. will have to make plenty of time for me as i have a very long shopping list. in the menetime, i will enjoy my time off, and blame my weight gain on the meds.