Husband has Alzheimers and Restless Leg Syndrome

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Anonymous

Husband has Alzheimers and Restless Leg Syndrome

Post by Anonymous »

Just wanted to know if anyone else here on this website has a spouse or family member suffering from AD and this? My Husband has early onset Alzheimers, and has been having these jerking movements for sometime. Not sleeping at all, roaming the house all hours of the late night, early morning. Went to his neurologist yesterday and he said he has this "Restless Leg Syndrome". It's really bad for him.

I was just wondering if anyone else is dealing with these two things at the same time and how it was going for them.

Thank you

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wish I had some information to offer, but I do not. This must be very difficult for both of you. I've not heard of a connection between them nor how to treat them together. Did the neuro provide any suggestions or medications to help your husband? I hope so, as there are many he can try, although I don't know about interactions with any drugs he may be taking for AD.

If you need more information about RLS, let us know; reading through the posts may be helpful, too as they contain a wealth of information.

Ann

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

A friend of mine has a husband that had early onset Alzheimers and she says that he suffers from RLS also. He has been in a nursing home for several years now but I can ask her if he still has the problem and what they do/did for it. I can get back with you later. I'm sorry I just now read your post. Please let us know if we can do anything else to help.

reklaw77

my dad

Post by reklaw77 »

My dad has dementia as well as restless leg syndrome. My mom has a difficult time taking care of him. I don't live in the same city as them so it's difficult to help. Anyway, I'm going to tell my mom about this site so maybe she can find some comfort through talking to others in similar siutations.[/list]