iron infusion and pregnancy

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Sezzy

Post by Sezzy »

I'm a mess :( I've got six weeks or so to go before I have my third baby and my RLS status is at an all time low.

I had to ask my husband to skip work today because I had had about an hour and a half's sleep when the kids got up and I couldn't cope. I went back to bed and had another couple of hours and felt like I could survive but by then my daughter wouldn't let my husband go :)

So it's affecting us financially now *tch*

I was taking codeine and it helps, eventually, but it makes me sleepy and very irritable the next day- more irritable than if I was just sleep deprived. It makes me have to nap after my oldest goes to school, which is disastrous with my 19 month old to care for- I either have to put the tv on or lock us in the bedroom and it's a terrible broken, cranky nap.

Perhaps I should take the codeine earlier, before onset of symptoms? My doctor is happy for me to take it intermittently during these last weeks.

The other thing I want to know is- can I have an iron infusion during pregnancy? Of course I will ask the doc but just wondered if anyone else had success with this? I just read one post where someone had good result. Even just a couple of decent night's sleep would be good. Is it a horrendous process? Can't be worse than iron shots. I've had six now and my ferritin has gone from ten to twenty-seven. My butt is so sore that it bothers me during the night as well :(

Sarah
Sleepless Down Under

ctravel12

Iron infusion and pregnancy

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Sarah Not too sure if I welcomed you to this group before, if not, then welcome.

I cannot give you the info that you are asking as I do not have any children; however would definitely talk to your dr and I would do it as soon as possible. I am so sorry for the rough time that you are having.

Please keep us posted on what your dr says and that you find the relief that you so much deserve.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Sarah, 6 more weeks! Hang in there!

I don't know why you couldn't have an iron infusion - do ask the doctor about it. I had 4 of them over the summer, and they were much easier to live through than those icky shots. :shock: It takes about an hour for an infusion (plus the time it takes to get the iron from the pharmacy and get a nurse to hook it up) and is painless, except for the initial needle stick to get the IV going. I had to have something like 10 shots in the butt a few years ago, and ouch.

As for when to take the codeine - most RLS medicines are most effective when taken before the symptoms start, so I would think that would be OK.

Blessings to you for the rest of the pregnancy!
Susan

Sezzy

Post by Sezzy »

Thank-you Charlene and Susan :)

Well last night was ok :) Took two Panadeine (19 mg codeine) before bed, then got up and had Tension Tamer Tea when first attack kicked in (have been visiting rlsrebel ;) also used some cognitive stuff I learnt there which helped).

YK I think the iron shots irritate my RLS for a couple of days :( Dr not keen on infusion, said it can have nasty side effects. I can only imagine myself having a couple more shots before birthing so I don't think I'll make the magic 50. Dr suggested vitamin E for RLS- anyone found this helpful?

Sarah
Sleepless Down Under

ctravel12

Iron Infusion and Pregnancy

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Sarah You are more than welcome. I do take Vitamin E; however have been taking it for a long time so do not know if this helpful. I know when I seen my neurologist last time he has a copy of all of my meds and vitamins and Vitamin E was one of them and he did not make a comment either way.

BTW meant to say congratuations on your third pregnancy and will say a prayer for a safe delivery.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Please do keep us updated how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Sezzy

Post by Sezzy »

Thanks Charlene :)

Last night was codeine free and still not too bad :) It's amazing the difference even a few hours of uninterrupted sleep makes, I'm doing OK thank God... Just getting very excited about meeting the new person now :D

Sarah
Sleepless Down Under

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Sarah you are more than welcome. I am glad that you were able to get some much deserve sleep. I am also excited for you about meeting the new little one. You will have to let me know about the baby ( if is a boy or girl) if I am not being too nosey. Sometimes I am good at that LOL/

Sarah I was checking out information on the rls.org and clicked on the link Restess Leg Syndrome. When you pull up this page, the top part in blue go to Medical and Scientific and click on that and it will have a few topics and one is Publications and Brochures. Click on that and go down the page and it will have information on rls and pregnancy. Click on the picture and it will give you some information which may help you.

If you are able to download it and print it out you may want to bring that to your dr. I hope that this may be of some help to you.

I hope that you are feeling better and let us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time