Multiple Sclerosis?

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
shimjockey

spinal tap

Post by shimjockey »

I had one to be the final proof of MS. You sign a scarey waiver releasing the doc from responsibility if you end up paralized or dead. I definetlly was scared and figured it was all over for me. I grabbed the edge of the bed just prior and during the procedure that took maybe two minutes, thinking way too much. It was very easy and I made more of it than needed. They just cover themselves with the written stuff. Stress not...........

Metabolic wreck

Post by Metabolic wreck »

I guess you've survived the spinal tap by now. But, to be honest, i'd endure a spinal tap once a month or so, if it would make RLS go away!
Mine was not that bad--the worst part was having to lie down for several hours afterwards.

Just to introduce myself...I've had RLS for probably 10 years. I have what I think would be called a severe case--it starts when I wake up in the morning, and bothers me off and on all day. I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago. I really believe that the two are related, because, when they were trying to decide if I had MS, I went on high dose steroids for a couple of months. When they decided that what I had was MS, and I tapered off of the steroids, I realized that the RLS had been less of a problem while I was on steroids, and was getting worse again the lower the dose got. Since steroids are what the most frequently use to treat relapses, it seemed that they might be related. Well, it made sense at the time.

I have been taking Mirapex for years, and it seems like I have had to increase the dose every 6 months or so. I'm really having trouble lately, and we tried switching to Requip, and it was even less helpful. I think I need to change to something that is not a dopamine agonist. However, my neurologist is out of town right now, so I'm trying to endure until he returns.

Anyway, there are others out here who have both RLS and MS (and maybe one or two other things for good measure!) so, no, you are not alone. It sometimes feels that way, though!

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Hmm... "metabolic wreck"... if you say it out loud, it sorta sounds like the scientific classification of an extinct species or something.

"Over here, we have the fossilized remains of a metabolic wreck. Notice how the legs are contorted? This is common amongst wrecks, but we're not yet sure why."

Good name, anyway. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Metabolic wreck

my name

Post by Metabolic wreck »

Actually, I think it's a medical term. My doctor gave me the name--I told him my GYN wondered if my heart attack could have been triggered by my thyroid disease, and he said "Of course it could, you're a metabolic wreck!". So, I figured that's a diagnosis. (Of course, he's the same man that told me to "pull up my big girl pants and deal with it"; he uses lots of interesting scientific terminology! :wink:

The Wreck