Sex and RLS

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
DirtyPurdy

Sex and RLS

Post by DirtyPurdy »

This could be a crazy thought, but I'm so excited to see this board and now am racking my brain with all the information I'm finding and trying to put the peices of my own situation together. Anyway, here's a thought: Could lack of sex worsen RLS? Now, I've had RLS for the majority of my life, but it's gotten much worse since about half-way though my pregnancy when I was starting to get fat and not feeling too sexy. Now since I've had the baby, the sex has yet to return to normal. We're still very much in love, just have had a lot going on and haven't gotten back into our "swing", so to speak. Was wondering if anybody thought there could be any relation here? And now I'm worried that if there IS a relation this Requip I'm "re-trying" might worsen it? (Which, for the record, I've been back on it about 72 hours and it's been really bad the whole time - I've summed it up to "rebound" up until I had this thought.) Thoughts?

Neco

Post by Neco »

Hi,

The only connection between sex and RLS is that the physical exertion may give you some temporary relief.. I think men may get more temporary benefit than women, because let's face it.. They always finish. However the benefit is again temporary at best regardless and will only last for minutes.

What you likely experienced was your RLS simply getting worse because of the fact you were pregnant. This happens to many women, and even some women who have never had RLS will experience it during pregnancy, after which it usually goes away. However an unlucky few also end up never getting rid of it, after being triggered by the pregnancy..

It does sound like you are augmenting from the Requip, and as you are "re-trying" it I am guessing you had the same result before? You need to educate your doctor about augmentation immediately and get off Requip. No physician with half a brain should be keeping anyone on a DA if they are augmenting.

Augmentation is described as symptoms coming on earlier in the day in a progressively worse pattern, accompanied by an increase in the severity of the symptoms, and requiring successively higher amounts of the dopamine agonist drug to regain control and relief. I think these days they have dropped the "Rebound" term (as it was originally Rebound and Augmentation when I did research a couple years ago) and now use Augmentation as a blanket terminology.

Please click the link in my signature for the Mayo Clinic Algorithm, print it out and read it, highlight important sections about augmentation and what to do when it occurs and do everything you can to make your doctor read it and listen.

You should be able to try Mirapex even if you augment from Requip (and vice versa), however once you fail both medications and cannot tolerate taking them, you should NOT be forced to take them ever again. Mayo makes this very clear.. At this point your options range from anti-convulsants like Neurontin or Lyrica, to benzodiazapines, to some of the various strength opiate painkillers..

A good majority of us here take opiates, and the most common ones seem to be Codeine (works for some people, but barely effective for others), Hydrocodone (Vicodin, usually works great for lots of folks, but can be easily addicting), Oxycodone (again, can be extremely addictive), and Methadone. (a last resort for many of us, but very powerful and very effective). Many of us have tried all the other meds with very little or no success but everyone is different and you may find good luck with trying Neurontin, Lyrica, or even Mirapex..

Another medication is Ultram (tramadol). It is a very interesting med because it is technically not an opiate but does bind to opiate receptors and has the same effects as other opiates, as well as anti-depressant effects and can give you a bit of energy during the day as well. It is not a controlled substance like other opiates so only requires a prescription to obtain, however it can be addictive to some people more than others.. There is also a seizure risk, and you should NOT take it if you take SSRI anti-depressants or other medications that can lower the seizure threshold..

It's a lot of info to absorb, I know. But like I said just print out the Mayo Algorithm from my signature link, and go over it with your doctor. Decide which medication you need to try next, and also try to get him to commit to a plan in case it doesn't work, so you know he will give you another medication to try beforehand and don't have to stress out over the off chance it doesn't work (stress can bring on nasty RLS attacks).

Always remember, your Doctor works for YOU.. So if you feel you are receiving inadequate care, or he is unresponsive/unwilling to try other medications, always remember you can seek out another doctor who will be more willing to work with you. Hopefully it will not come to that situation, though.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I've heard quite a few people say that sex helps lessen RLS, at least for a little while. It's probably all the changes in hormones and brain chemistry. There's bound to be a dopamine effect of some sort.

Also, when you're sexually excited, your brain automatically stops noticing most discomfort. It's a little trick we picked up that helps us finish the act of procreation in spite of difficult circumstances. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

DirtyPurdy

Post by DirtyPurdy »

Zack: I posted a longer thread in "New to RLS"; but I've tried many different types of meds over the last 6 months, so for the only one that I can currently afford and is working is oxycodone and I sometimes take colotopin (sp?) at night, but I'm not sure it really does anything. My husband doesn't really like me taking opids, but nothing else so far has worked and without them I feel like I will go CRAZY. I don't catch a high (not saying I NEVER did, but in general I don't), so I think he's being unfair, though I know it's out of love. So he ends up giving me my meds and reminding me when to take my requip the last few nights. It's annoying, but at least he can feel comfortable that my taking them is controlled. I am going to have to start carrying a few on me for times I have to have one and he's not around. I'm interested in Methadone, though, since it seems stronger - I'm up to sometimes 30 mgs at a shot during rough spots and usually 10 mgs, at least every 4-6 hours. As I mentioned earlier, either my tolerance is building or it's getting way worse... maybe both?

Aiken:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If I understand correctly, methadone is not stronger than what you're taking - they are both considered strong. It's that methadone lasts longer.

Zach had a point about augmentation. It's entirely possible that you are like me and augmented REALLY quickly.

You have to think back. Did the RLS get worse when taking the REquip or the Mirapex? Or was it already that bad before you took it?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

DirtyPurdy

Post by DirtyPurdy »

Okay last time I don't remember if it made them worse or not... this time though my doc gave me a starter pack on Friday morning. I had a full blown kicking crying jag that night and then remembered that I had the starter pack and took one of them and 15 mg of percocet. In about an hour, it calmed down. I don't know which med did it, but I'm sure it was the perc cuz that's what I always take and what always works. But SINCE that night, it's gotten A LOT worse - and it was bad before so now it's like I"M GONNA JUMP OUT OF MY EFFIN SKIN AND MURDER SOMEONE I CANT TAKE IT I CANT TAKE IT I CANT TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I was HOPING that it was because the requip was working into my system... but I don't know anymore. I was really hoping for a non-opid answer here, but it's not looking like I found it. I was HOPING to keep trying just a few more days though, just out of that hope, but I don't know what to do now. This "worsening" will go away once I stop taking it, right? It's not like, worse FOREVER right?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you think the Requip may be worsening it, try a little test. Assess how bad it is now, then stop it for two weeks. See what happens.

Another option, and ONLY to be done with your doctor, is to forget moving up slowing to a good dose - remember, you're only taking a TINY amount of REquip compared to what an average person takes or the max you could take.

If your doctor is with you on this, immediately increase to 1 mg or 1.5 mg. See what happens, you may get nausea - I'd probably count on it. But, you can tell if it's helping or not an in a week or two the nausea may stop.

The point is that you don't really know anything (from a data perspective) about the drugs you are taking. You simply know that what is happening now isn't working. That doesn't mean is might not work....if it was taken differently.

Many of us struggle with this; we do not have anyone competent to help us make these difficult decisions. Some of us have been known to make decisions on our own....but that isn't wise. I'm not saying I haven't done it, just that it's not wise because our view is distorted and even if we're very well read about this, we're still not doctors! Even doctors go to doctors.

There are probably options, but there may not be many you can carry out on your own.

If it were me, I'd at least first try my doctor with the "I need help, will you be my partner and help me or not?" approach. Not said that bluntly, but I would let my doctor know that in no uncertain terms I was miserable and I needed help now. And, no matter what else I said, I would ask for his or her commitment. That really can have a dramatic effect on changing the relationship you have with the doctor.

You're in a tough spot...I hope you find a way to make it better....and soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.