WED/RLS and endometrial ablation

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
badnights

Re: WED/RLS and endometrial ablation

Post by badnights »

The real indicator that you have RLS is probably your positive response to Requip. There's an interesting article in Sleep Medicine that explains how difficult it is to diagnose RLS on the basis of the four criteria alone (*). But having a positive response to a dopamine agonist is a supporting criterion.

Thanks for sharing your history. It helps to understand what you're up against. Let us know how this operation works! I'm not the only one who's curious, I'm sure.

I wonder how many students are on Ritalin that should be on requip
THAT is one thing that scares me as much as the thought of seniors with dementia and undiagnosed RLS being strapped to their beds. There were new guidelines released recently for diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in pre-schoolers, and not a mention anywhere in those guidelines of doing a differential diagnosis for WED/RLS ! I wish I was a physician and could write (to whom?) with enough force, knowledge, and authority to get that changed.

* Hening et al., 2009. The four diagnostic criteria for Restless Legs Syndrome are unable to exclude confounding conditions ("mimics"). Sleep Medicione, v. 10, p. 976-981.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

michelenebelung

Post by michelenebelung »

I have had this procedure, I don't think it made a difference in my case. I think my RLS had even gotten worse since this procedure, but I can't say for sure that is the reason. In my case I'm glad I did it, it had lighten my period a lot, reduces cramps. Maybe it has even made my iron count go up but I can't get my neurologist to do any blood work.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

michelenebelung wrote:I have had this procedure, I don't think it made a difference in my case. I think my RLS had even gotten worse since this procedure, but I can't say for sure that is the reason. In my case I'm glad I did it, it had lighten my period a lot, reduces cramps. Maybe it has even made my iron count go up but I can't get my neurologist to do any blood work.

That must be annoying that your neuro will not do bloodwork!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

That's insane! A knowledge of blood iron is essential to treating WED/RLS properly. Maybe the next time you go, you should drop a pamphlet on his desk http://www.willis-ekbom.org/document.doc?id=2332
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

michelenebelung

Post by michelenebelung »

This is one reason why I am in the process of finding a neuro, along with him just not listening to me. My family doctor does a better job treating my RLS better than him. She was the only one that did my first iron test.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Well, keep shopping around. Maybe your family doctor knows a good one to refer you to.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

If you belong to an HMO, or have a list of approved doctors, what I did is I made a list of all the possible doctors and then just went through the list until I found one I liked.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.