Intravenous Iron Given prior to Pregnancy for Restless Legs

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
badnights

Intravenous Iron Given prior to Pregnancy for Restless Legs

Post by badnights »

I found this abstract recently.

Intravenous Iron Given prior to Pregnancy for Restless Legs Syndrome is Associated with Remission of Symptoms.

Daniel L Picchietti; Victor C Wang; Matthew A Picchietti
J Clin Sleep Med 8, 585 (2012)
University of Illinois School of Medicine & Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, IL.

CITATION: Picchietti DL; Wang VC; Picchietti MA. Intravenous iron given prior to pregnancy for restless legs syndrome is associated with remission of symptoms. J Clin Sleep Med 2012;8(5):585-586.

Abstract
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is more common during pregnancy than in the general population, occurring at a 2-3 times higher prevalence. While iron, genetics, and central nervous system dopamine have been shown to play major roles in RLS unrelated to pregnancy, the etiology and treatment of RLS during pregnancy have not been adequately delineated. We describe a novel approach where a 23-year-old female was given intravenous iron prior to pregnancy, with complete remission of RLS symptoms until five months postpartum. Factors other than iron status that may have influenced the course of remission and relapse were oral contraceptive use, antidepressant use, and a strong family history of RLS.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.