for ladies w/problem periods

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
squirmy

for ladies w/problem periods

Post by squirmy »

I have Lupus with RLS and the RLS is my worst condition. I have noticed that during and after a period, the RLS is more severe. I had a procedure done yesterday called thermal eblation. When my Lupus flares up, I have excessive and continuous bleeding for months at a time. I have inflammation and atypical cells that are not cancer. Both my gyno and rheumy are certain it is due to Lupus flares. And we think the loss of blood may be a trigger for my RLS. The thermal eblation starts with a D&C, then a hot water balloon is inserted into the uterus to keep the lining from returning. My organs are not diseased or damaged so a hysterectomy is not necessary. The procedure went very well and I only experienced period like cramps afterwards. I will not have periods or cramps ever again, but I have all necessary hormones. For any of you that have these type of problems, I believe this procedure is a great option to hysterectomy. Now, when my Lupus does kick in, I will have one less thing to worry about and I hope I have less frequent RLS. I was afraid the procedure itself would trigger an RLS episode, but it has not, thank God! Take care and love to you all, Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma

SUGAR

hhmm

Post by SUGAR »

Squirmy, I have had problem periods since November-December that I have been to two different doctors for. My family prac could no longer figure out what was wrong, of course she did not even look at me other than from across the room.

I went to a gyno last week because I have had very long 4-5 week periods and sometimes a week break in between, she put me on some estrogen to take three pills twice a day. Well finally after a week of that I think I finally stopped.

She said I would have to have a D&C if I didn't. I don't really know what that means but my sisters and neice have all had a few. They have lupus and endometreosis. I have never had problems and have been tested for lupus but I just think this is not normal.

I just can't get anyone else to agree with me. I have always had problems with my iron and take iron every day but I just don't see why I can't get the doctor to do a little more investigating. Maybe bleeding for a month is no big deal to them. It's just annoying for me.

Oh well. Oh so does the water balloon stay there or is it taken out? Just curious.

Sugs

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

Sugs, the water balloon is removed, leaving no uterus lining at all and it won't come back. I would ask your doctor about Thermal Eblation. Ofcourse they have to rule out other causes for the bleeding 1st. I had an ultrasound and several pap smears. A biopsy was scheduled, but cancelled because when I got the Lupus diagnosis and it explained the atypical cells, inflammation and excessive bleeding. Then I had to check on family history for any cancers, and even though I only know one side of my biological history, we decided this procedure was the best thing to do. I tried the birth control pills first, but they didn't make a difference for me, I kept bleeding for another two months. If the pills had worked, the procedure wouldn't have been needed. This whole process took about 6 months. I think your gyno can tell you if you would make a good candidate for this procedure. You won't be able to have children after this procedure, so there are lots of things to consider. But if you continue to have period problems, find a doctor that will start figuring out the cause. At the very least, you need a papsmear right away. Let me know how things go for you. Tina aka Squirmy
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma