RLS, Pregnancy, Mirapex, Ambien, Neurontin (SP?), Codeine...

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
Traci

RLS, Pregnancy, Mirapex, Ambien, Neurontin (SP?), Codeine...

Post by Traci »

I am 34 years old. RLS is hereditary in my family (mom & maternal grandmother). I seem to have it worse than the others. I absolutely cannot sleep and am trying all different kinds of meds now. 2nite I felt good when I went to bed and was just dozing off when the "feeling" started. I was trying to go w/out meds 2nite, but it didn't work. I also have the sensation in my upper back, shoulders, and arms. It is horrible. I am literally going insane now. I was taking mirapex last summer when I got pregnant. I stopped taking it as soon as I found out I was expecting, but I guess it was too late. I ended up with an ectropic pregnancy. Husband has been in Afghanistan since but will be returning home in the next few weeks. I want so badly to try for another baby, but I am so afraid because I don't know how I can possibly survive the pregnancy without my meds. He's strict catholic so no birth control other than family planning. Like that is going to work when he 1st comes home -- We haven't seen each other in almost a year!

The RLS is now to the point where I feel like I truly have a disability. It has affected my work -- to the point where I am now not even working. Hubby and I decided it is best to stay home w/our 6 year old and sleep during the day when I can.

My OBGYN wants me to get off the Mirapex, so she prescribed Ambien and Codeine (10 days on for one, 10 days on for the other, etc.) She is hoping this treatment works but so far it isn't. Both drugs are safe during pregnancy & with the 10 days on/10 days off the hope is I won't get addicted to either.

Any advice, help, etc will be much appreciated. This disorder is horrible, and the rumor is it gets worse with age. I'm 34. I can't imagine what I will be experiencing in 10 years.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Traci,

Gosh am I so sorry for everything you've been through!

I do feel your pain however. RLS wise that is. Have you talked at all about Requip and any side effects that may have with a pregnancy?

Please check it out. I'm not sure if it does, but I know that it has helped me, not completely, but enough to feel "normal" again.

When your husband gets home, please tell him THANK YOU from me for everything he's done and is doing for our Country!
A big part of my profession is Veterans Representative at a Community College. I appreciate everything our troops have sacrificed.

Loves
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

carriayn

good temp relief

Post by carriayn »

this may not be good for some who are against it but a small bit of a pot joint at bedtime helps me almost every night!!!!

jillkfl

I have no solution, but same situation.

Post by jillkfl »

I am 30 and am in the same situation. My mother and maternal grandmother have experienced RLS, but not to my severity. I can't sleep a single night w/o the Mirapex and do not know what my future holds because of this disease. I want to have a baby, but am terrified of the "feeling" not going away (I completely agree agree with your description as I find it difficult to descrobe to others). I have tried to off the meds, but after scalding hot baths, heating pads and 2am walks I am convinced that I won't be able to make it. I felt a little better hearing your story because there is someone out there like me. I always hear from medical professionals, when they ask the list of drugs that I am currently taking, comment on RLS not typically affecting people of my age group, but it does as you and I are the example. I wish you the best of luck in everything. Thanks for sharing.

RN with RLS

Pregnancy

Post by RN with RLS »

I have had RLS probably since at least 1996 (diagnosed by me), and both my dad and brother have it as well. I never knew it had a name or that other people suffered from it until very recently. I have never been on any medications, but I will tell you this. After 2 pregnancies, my RLS was EXACERBATED by my most recent pregnancy. It had been every once and a while, or only when I was very tired, and relieved by exercise, sleep, or positional. But throughout my pregnance and since my son was born this July... it is every night without fail, and often keeps me awake until at least 2 or 3 am.

I just wanted you to know this from someone on no medications, that the mere fact of being pregnant was a trigger for it to worsen, let alone having to do it while off of medications you were previously on. The disclaimer here is that I have never had any medical treatment, nor has an MD said "You have RLS."

Peace.

Post by guest »

I've had some success with codiene... tried it one night out of desperation. But it's easy to get addicted to painkillers, so I didn't use it more than a few times... requip seems to be working ok now... 1 episode in 10 days.

jumping bean

What's the dosage on requip?

Post by jumping bean »

I just started taking requip and doc said 3 mg is max. Is anyone else on it and how much are they taking, when are they taking it, and does it really help. Yes I know everyone is different, but I'm at my wits end with this!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jumping Bean, so sorry you are having problems. There is a lot of great info here, and great people, too.

Check out the Pharmaceutical Therapies section - I think there are least 4 or 5 threads there recently about Requip. That might get you started/headed in the right direction finding out more about it.

Also, check out the New to RLS section. There are two 'sticky' posts that have great info. The Welcome Newcomers sticky has some very specific information about the dopamine agonists, especially Requip and Mirapex and about the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Those are very helpful. If you are having problems with drugs, that sticky has some wonderful information specifically about drugs, non-drug ideas, and how to manage your RLS in general.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rachelto

Ambien and pregnancy

Post by rachelto »

I took Ambien for my RLS my entire pregnancy last year, otherwise I would have committed suicide. It worked great, as long as I took it at least one hour before bedtime. My son is now 7 months old and doing great. I still take ambien for my rls daily because for me, it works great. No more problems. I am breastfeeding too.
Rachel

RestlessinAL

Post by RestlessinAL »

Why does your OBGYN want you off Mirapex but will allow you to take a narcotic drug for RLS? Mirapex is the only medication that has worked for me, although I have Ultram for an emergency back-up if Mirapex doesn't work - like when I wait too late in the evening to take it.

My family doctor will not prescribe a narcotic medication for me for RLS. It was the neurologist who specializes in RLS that gave me the RX for Ultram.

DrWass2

compression stockings

Post by DrWass2 »

Have any of you guys actually tried the compression stockings???
Just want to know?

JRingo

Ambien

Post by JRingo »

Just a note, the ambien helps you get to sleep and stay asleep, but after 3 or more nights it makes my rls worse.
I am 53 have had it since I was a teen, as well as other family members having same. I have tried everything, pain killers are the only relief. They don't know why pain killers work, but they do. Some of the "new" cures are just laxatives and you have to be careful or be fleeced. A low dose of hydrocodone is enough normally to stop the rls, and is not habit forming unless you are an addictive personality, I have been on for years, and the only result in stopping is worse rls. Most drugs make the rls worse, prozac, sleep aids. I find that tennis and strenuous excercise makes it worse, so try staying off your feet and see if it helps. I have heard excercise helps some, but not too much excercise. I have tried lidocane patches and every other help, hot-cold, rubbing, soaking, alzheimer drugs to no avail. I am hopelessly locked into narcotics til someone will spend enough time and money to devote their talent to the cure.
I sympathize with all who are here, and God help us all.
law@hhtutorials.zzn.com

aba

Quinine Sulfate

Post by aba »

Quinine Sulfate in smaller doses should work for some people. I take it in a high dose for another disease, but when symptoms of rls are present, I take QS and it works within 1 hour or less.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

compression stockings did nothing for me. only thing that works are the pain meds, sleep med, and the sinemet. i have tried everything i think except strapping myself to the rack. (actually if i had one i would try it)

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

--
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.