RLS, Pregnancy, Mirapex, Ambien, Neurontin (SP?), Codeine...

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

Hi Karen,

I also have rls combined with fibro and diabetes. I hate the way the work together.

My rls was really bad a month or so ago and then I got the fibro headache from hell. I was amazing once my neuro and I got a handle on what to do for the fibro attacks -- my rls issues subsided. Although I still have sever painful rls, the fibro seems to trigger the breakthroughs I've been having. Bummer! Once the fibro attack is brought under control the rls is better. Strange diseases we have.

My diabetes is affected by the pain and lack of sleep. My meds keep going up to cover the increased affect on my blood sugar levels. The way I have to look at this is that at least there is help for the condition.

Just wanted to let you know that I totally understand your issues and pray you find relief for your rls soon.

Love and hugs,
Cyndi
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Karen

Unfortunately no , still in pain even to the touch....don't know why it's so bad, moving not helping,taken more codeine but need to keep rest for night and during the night.
Why we have to have other illnesses as well goodness knows, you'd think RLS would be enough torture to endure, I also have arthritis,tinnitus and suffer from depression,panic and anxiety......no luck eh!
But somehow we always find a way to go on .....wer'e a lot stronger than we think ....we must be.

Hope your'e getting some relief

huggles
moonlight :?
sleep is not only a dream

fortitude

Helping RLS in pregnancy

Post by fortitude »

Hi Tracy. I feel for you as I can totally relate (same story as you... same drugs... everything). I had it bad and not taking anything during pregnancy scared the hell out of me. The codeine worked for me and it really isn't that addictive... if you don't have an addictive personality and it seems like you are very health oriented. I took Emtec which DOESN'T have caffeine which isn't good to take at night and not good for RLS. I've was on it for 1.5 years taking 1/2 pill at 10 and 1/2 a pill at 3:00 am. Sometimes another 1/2 in there for bad nights. And I'm not addicted. Swapping with Ambien might be good. Think positive. I will be fine for 9 months. Along with the folic acid, magnesium and extra iron.... it all helps to alleviate the symptoms. I am not at all worried going into my second pregnancy.
The RLS still wakes me and I take it during the night. It's hard when you are also up with the baby a couple times. My life felt like agony. I was so tired I felt sick. I had no energy either. Well both symptoms are a result of low dopamine. Three months ago I went on Methylphenidate LA (Concerta) which is a type of "Ritalin" (everyone knows that name). In ADHD children, it improves circulation to the frontal lobe to help them concentrate. It's like having a pot-hole filler driving along highways... if the highway is good then it doesn't have to work there but it FINDS where it is needed and stimulates that region. So with us, it stimulates the dopamine. I feel like I did in my teens and 20's!!! My days with my son are happy and active and I fall asleep easily and I didn't have RLS. That was at 27 mg. After 3 months I did feel more tired and the RLS came back a bit so I went to 36 mg and it's just fantastic. I feel like I recovered from a terrible illness. Ritalin isn't as bad a mirapex or an antidepressant or things like that. My doctor said just to stop when we are pretty sure that I ovulated and that implantation occured. I will be going back on this the day after I deliver, that's for sure!!! They say there is a chance that this will stimulate your brain to produce more dopamine by itself! Worth a try.
By the way, I got RLS at 33 and I'm 39 now and it's pretty much the same. Don't worry about it getting worse... research and meds are getting better. Keep active... it helps! Good luck babe.