Info for our RLSers with an auto-immune disorder

RLS occurs more frequently in certain populations, including people with end-stage renal disease, women during pregnancy, and people with iron deficiency. Also, RLS/WED in the elderly and children brings other challenges. Sharing your experiences may be extraordinarily helpful to others.
ViewsAskew

Info for our RLSers with an auto-immune disorder

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tina, Jan, and others with an auto-immune condition,

I found this on a celiac forum earlier today. Sounds promising :-). I've read before that they have begun to believe that all autoimmune stuff has a common cause, just a different result. This organization might be worth something to you guys. I'm going to check it out, too, as I'd love to stop being the best gluten-free cook in Chicago :-).

Autoimmune Disease Research Foundation
An alliance of volunteers, physicians and scientists who believe in the
"common cause - common cure" hypothesis of autoimmune disease. ADRF
recognizes compelling research findings that indicate autoimmune disease
should be regarded as one disease that is manifested as type I diabetes,
Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, multiple sclerosis,
lupus, and 70 other autoimmune syndromes, with many likely having a
common cause and a common cure.

ADRF therefore supports "high impact" research, clinical trials, and
advocacy that should be pursued, in order to accelerate progress toward
curing autoimmune diseases.

http://www.cureautoimmunity.org/

Ann

squirmy

Post by squirmy »

Thank you Ann, I am very interested in this. Tina
RLS, SLE (Lupus) and Asthma

happiestgirl

New to this website- Have RLS & family history of autoim

Post by happiestgirl »

I was diagnosed with RLS about a year ago at the age of 35. I know I've had it all of my life. I always called it "claustrophobic feet". Autoimmune diseases run in my family, such as schleroderma and lupis. A few years ago I had some bloodwork done that showed I had the antibodies that were a signal that I was probably developing an autoimmune disease. Since I found out that RLS is a real condition, I've been wondering if there was a link between it and autoimmune diseases. I just got onto this message board and wouldn't you know that this is the first topic that I found! I think that it's time for me to have my doctor run some more tests on me! I'm scared of that. I watched my grandmother die of schleraderma and it was a horrible and scary disease.

Another thing was strange to me. I just had my second child in February. I didn't notice the RLS being any worse or better than usual during my pregnancy, but as soon as I had Iain it got much worse and I also started having it in my arms too. I thought it was maddening to have it in my legs, but to have it in my arms and legs at the same time makes me absolutely crazy. You can't think of anything else but the horrible creepy crawly pain! No matter how hard I kick and flail my arms I can't make the feeling go away!

I wish you all luck in your quests for relief!

-Michelle

hope

Re: Info for our RLSers with an auto-immune disorder

Post by hope »

I have chronic variable immune deficiency (hypogammaglobulinenmia) with all above causes a myriad of issues. Common are
fibromyalgia
chronic fatigue
break through infections depending where your immune system is deficient (mine is respiratory) and this year is a bad flu season so inside I stay
Arthritis is right up there, which is where my minor RLS turned into a nightmare. I had so many back problems, I opted for several spinal injections of I can't even remember what). One injection messed up my right leg and that is exactly what starts my violent RLS attacks. I also was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff. I'm 60 kind of short and fluffy. Dr asks If I play softball - I stuck my tongue out at him and said ya think?
Pulmonary embolism is very high on the list (had that too)

Even though RLS is heredity in my family, they don't have any of the other issues. Makes you wonder :)

badnights

Re: Info for our RLSers with an auto-immune disorder

Post by badnights »

Wow you got saddled with a lot.

Am I right, that you always had mild RLS/WED but it flared into madness after a spinal injection went awry?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.