Rozerem

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
LizInTx

Rozerem

Post by LizInTx »

I am new to this board but definitely not new to RLS. I have had it as long as I can remember.

I started taking Requip a little over 6 months ago and the RLS has gotten steadly worse. I see on this board that this has happened to alot of people that have taken Requip.

I am going to my neurologist tomorrow to talk to her about this. I am really at my wits end and I want to get off of the Requip as soon as possible.

My question is has anyone tried Rozerem to help them get to sleep?

ctravel12

Rozerem

Post by ctravel12 »

I also take Requip and has helped me with my legs at night. I had trouble staying asleep and made an appt.with my dr about getting sleeping pills. My dr just gave me a sample packet of Rozerem and I took the first one last night. She told me that it would take about 1 week to get into my system. I have been on requip since the first part of the year and I have rls during the day. I slept last night but not through the night; however did go back to sleep most of the time. I have enough for two weeks and will see what happens. My dr wants to see me back in two weeks if this does not help me sleep.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

LizInTx

Rozerem

Post by LizInTx »

Are you taking the Rozerem along with the Requip?

The Requip helped with my legs at first. I generally was only bothered with RLS at night but since taking the Requip it starts earlier in the evening than it used to and I have started having problems during the day as well.

Also when I first started the Requip I would sleep thru the night but now I wake up 2 or 3 times and my legs start bothering me again so that I have trouble getting back to sleep.

I am hoping my doctor will give me something to help me get to sleep so that I can start tapering off the Requip.

hypnotode

Post by hypnotode »

I've had a prescription for Rozerem, but don't use it anymore since I fall asleep OK these days. You can take it with the Requip, they work on different neurotransmitter systems. My understanding is that the Rozerem should work the first time you take it. I was also encouraged to take a second if I woke up in the night. I loved it. It helped me get the first decent night's sleep in ages, before the Requip started working.
Neurontin, Trileptal, Cymbalta, and Flexeril work for me.

ctravel12

rozerem

Post by ctravel12 »

I do take the rozerem with the Requip. That is the first thing that I asked my dr if I could do and she said yes. I only started it last night. My dr told me that it takes at least 1 week before it gets into your system. Since I have been taking Requip I have problems with it during the daytime. I have to say at night time when I take the Requip my legs do not bother me; however I do not sleep well at night. I do sleep for the first 1-2 hrs and then after that it is a hit or miss if I will go back to sleep. This is why I went to my dr regarding the sleeping pill. I went to a Neurologist today (the first time) and he actually knows about rls. He suggested that I take the rozerem and see him back in October. I used to take clonazepem and he asked if I would consider taking that again as I was not having that problem then. He told me to think about it and get back to his office on this. So I will see.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Just a note - the Rozerem will not help the RLS, though it may help you sleep. It sounds like the Requip is causing augmentation. A switch to Mirapex might help, but getting off the Requip sounds like a good choice for sure.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

rozerem

Post by ctravel12 »

Ann, thanks for the info. I know the rozerem does not help the rls, but hoping that it does help the sleep. I know my dr says it takes about 5 days to get into your system. I am hoping that I can wait the five days before it will kick in. Well last night was my second night taking the sleeping pill. The first night was not too bad; however last night was horrible. Also my legs were going a mile a minute and that has not happened that early in the am for a long time. I am going to contact the neurologist regarding the clonazepam so I can get off of Requip. I have glaucoma and one of the side effects of clonazepam was that it made the narrow angle glaucoma worse. I had a call into my dr and they just called and I have the open angle so that is alright.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

steelergal78

Rozerem, requip and Mirapex

Post by steelergal78 »

I've had Rozerem and only used it twice. It knocks me out for A MINIMUM of 24 hours. Go figure. I love getting the sleep, but others in my house (husband namely) decide I don't need to and wake me up.

I have found a happy balance - at least for now - of Requip and Mirapex. If I use Requip alone, it doesn't do much good. Mirapex - I have to take at least 5-6 pills a night. I read up on hypoglycemia, and think I may be hypoglycemic. SO - I take 3 Mirapex and one 2mg Requip every night with a glass of milk and VOILA!!! it's working so far!! I haven't had an episode in over 2 weeks. Taken about half an hour before I hit the sack, and so far so good. Keep your appendages crossed for me folks!! :D

ctravel12

rozerem

Post by ctravel12 »

I am completely off of Requip and am taking .5mg of clonazepam and rozerem for sleep. I am doing much better. Do not have any daytime episodes with my legs, in fact, I have taken a nap a couple of times and so far no problem. I hope that this continues. My DH and I are going to go away just for the day on Friday and then we will see for sure.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Charlene, it really sounds like you were augmenting with the Requip. Since you no longer have daytime RLS and didn't have it before taking the Requip. . .

I'm glad it's stopped and hope the RLS continues to stay controlled by the meds you are taking.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

rozerem

Post by ctravel12 »

Ann, thank you so much.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time