allergy med not absorbed in brain.

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
edd666666

allergy med not absorbed in brain.

Post by edd666666 »

Hi, I recently switched over to a Rx allergy pill named XZAL. My Dr. told me it is not absorbed by the brain, so I thought it might reduce the RLS effects I got from my old med. I have been using it about 2 weeks and I believe my RLS has been reduced. It is not cheap and it is by Rx only, but you might want to check into it. It was prescribed to me by an allergist who did not know anything about the effects normal antihistamines can have on RLS and just happen to mention the fact that it works differently. OK, good luck, Ed.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks, Ed. That's always good to hear when things work (or don't!).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lexique

Post by lexique »

Thanks for this Ed!

It took years for me to find something that actually did something for my allergies (Benedryl) and now the more I read the more places I see things telling me that it worsens RLS, which makes sense when I think about it and look back on my sleep notes and med logs. It makes it easier to maintain the hope that I will find something else that works for me as well.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

The one allergy med I can use is Claritin. Do not take Claritin D. I took Claritin for years and now that its and OTC med, I buy the off brand Loraidine (sure that is not the correct spelling)its alot cheaper and has the exact same ingredients in it. Check it out, I buy mine at WalMart, should be right next to Claritin.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Loratadine.

I've bought it too. I think it can also be safely used with sudafed as well, if you have a particularly bad allergy day

lexique

Post by lexique »

I know countless people that swear by Claritin but for me it's just a waste of money. It doesn't help my symptoms at all and despite being non-drowsy, it makes my brain feel fuzzy. I might as well have my allergies and at least be able to think clearly.

At least the worst part of allergy season, at least for me, if over for this year.

maddielouise1

Post by maddielouise1 »

I see that most posts indicate not to take an allergy med. with a decongestant, but if the stuffiness, headaches, etc. are the problem and you need a decongestant, surely there is something we can take. Maybe I'm just dreaming. We have some Zyrtec-D, and I'm tempted, but don't want to bouncing off the walls either-ha!

Neco

Post by Neco »

I guess I'm lucky.. maybe it comes from the fact I take opiates, so I can mask just about any symptom from most drugs if I need to..

I don't usually have a problem with cold medicines or anything for multi-symptoms

maddielouise1

Post by maddielouise1 »

Zach,

You are lucky at that. I guess I won't know until I try something. I'll also ask my neurologist what she thinks. Surely, this isn't a new question.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

No, not a new question 8) . I Decongestants are fine...alone. It's when they are combined with one of the older antihistamines that there is a problem. Most of us can take the new antihistamines just fine, though a few of us have had problems with them.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

maddielouise1

Post by maddielouise1 »

Well I took Alavert-D 12 hour and although it hasn't bothered me, I'm not sure it's helped either. That's just me of course.