Generic for Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

Generic for Requip

Post by Eternityroad »

I have been informed that there is a generic for Requip. Before I ask my doctor about it and if he can put me on it I would like to hear about others' experience with this. The Requip is doing well and I don't want to switch over if there will be a difference in the effects. I have been on Requip for nearly two months.

Thanks.

Ken

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'll let the pharmacists weigh in and simply say that the pharmacist that spoke at the Chicago regional meeting a few week ago said that she thinks that it's always worth trying the generic. I don't remember her saying anything negative about ropinerole. If someone else was there remembers something I'm forgetting, please chime in!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

The FDA requires generics to be nearly identical to their Brand name counterparts... within a certain percentage. Having said this, drugs that effect the central nervous system (pain meds, meds that affect brain chemistry-- dopamine agonists, seizure meds, antidepressants) commonly can feel different when you switch between brand and generic and sometimes even between generic manufacturers. You basically switch and see what happens-- you may notice nothing. If it feels like it's different, it may take a short period of adjustment and you'll be fine again.
Josh

ed2008

Post by ed2008 »

just to add a few comments to josh's post.....

once a drug has lost it's patent (and a generic is approved), VERY FEW patients remain on the brand name drug. one chain pharmacy i worked for (shall remain nameless) said to eliminate the brand name within 6 months of the generic being available. Insurance copays play a huge part in the push for generics (some insurances will not pay ANYTHING on a prescription when there is a generic available, even if the doctor says "no generic")

you will still be able to fill requip in brand name as long as it's available, however many pharmaceutical companies will sell the patent rights to the brand name after a few years, and a generic company will end up making it....

while the system isn't perfect, it does work somewhat :-)

Ed

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

My experience with generics is that they're always weaker than the brand name drug. Always. I've never found one that was on par with the brand name.

Now, I don't think this is because they manufacture the generics under spec. They probably do, by a couple of percentage points, just to cut corners as people always do, but I think they're within acceptable tolerances of the spec.

However, I think the brand name drugs get manufactured slightly above spec when the generics come out, to make people want them and pay the premium for them. If a generic hydrocodone has 4.9mg in it, and a name brand Vicodin has 5.3mg, people *will* eventually notice the difference.

Otherwise, I don't know why my experience would be so consistent, and I've used a lot of different prescription drugs over the years to deal with illness, reflux, pain, and/or anxiety. I don't think it's a coincidence.

That said, there are plenty of times when the slightly-weaker generic is just fine. My norco and prozac are both generic.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I've almost never used name brands. But I can say I've had no large problems with any generics being significantly "weak" for their dose or anything like that. Especially painkillers like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Codeine, and Methadone. Right now I take generic Methadone (methadose), and 15mgs/day usually does me fine.

Chances are you won't notice much of a difference, if you notice anything at all. Unless you are really sensitive to medications for some reason.

It never hurts to try the cheaper alternative.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I've almost never used name brands. But I can say I've had no large problems with any generics being significantly "weak" for their dose or anything like that.

For many years I had been on Levoxyl, the generic for Synthroid, which is synthetic thyroid. (15 years ago I was victim of Grave's disease and had my thyroid deadened with radioactive iodine) When Doc tested me this year he found unusual levels in thyroid numbers and put me back on Synthroid because he said the dosages in generics were unreliable. Hence my concern about generics.

Since this just hapopened within the last month I can be fairly certain the change had nothing to do with the onslaught of RLS I experienced back in June.

Thanx for the input,

Ken

ed2008

Post by ed2008 »

ken,

Ironically, Synthroid was one of the drugs we didn't use a generic for until about 4 years ago. Narrow Therapeutic Index was the code word for three different drugs with no generic approved by the FDA.. synthroid, dilantin, and lanoxin. all three now have generic equivalents.
Synthoid was originally made by Knoll pharmaceuticals. the patent was sold, and Synthroid is now made by Abbott. go figure

not in any way doubting your story... the proof is in the thyroid level blood tests you report.

Ed
Last edited by ed2008 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm one who has had nothing but problems with generic levothyroxin. Tried it for 4 years and just couldn't get my levels within normal levels. Finally I asked to switch back to brand name. I guess it may not have been so problematic, but my drug store kept changing generic brands every few months. I know that the brand name stuff is really sweet, like it's made with sugar, and the others are bitter. I've wondered if the additional ingredients somehow affect the absorption.

Otherwise, I've never noticed a difference between brand name and generic other than the effect they have on my wallet.
Susan

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

Odly enough, I just told my husband I did not think the generic Requip was working as well. May be all in my head. I've been through a lot latley.( I do know my GYN won't prescribe generic harmones.) Just my two cents...I have been on 1 or 2 mg a day, as neened, and it seems the RLS comes back more often and isn't relieved as well. Maybe I'll go back to the original and see if there is any difference....Pat

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Zach wrote:... I've had no large problems with any generics being significantly "weak" for their dose or anything like that.

To clarify, I should say I haven't ever found a generic to be significantly weaker. I've only noticed them to be perceptibly weaker, such that I could notice the difference, and if the dosage were borderline to start with, it wouldn't good enough anymore.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

I actually have just the opposite experience with oxycontin-- I have been on generic forever and a couple months ago I got my presciption filled at a different place and all they had was brand name oxycontin.

I took a couple doses and noticed that it felt slightly less effective and wore off an hour or so before my generic version.

strange.....
Josh

blryan

Post by blryan »

I just changed to generic Requip and so far haven't noticed any difference. They're not that weird shape which makes them easier to cut if you need to.

Barb

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Here in UK, I am prescribed ropinerole (requip) under the name of Adartrel. They are .5mg and oblong in shape, great for breaking in half, and doc prescribes me 4 daily.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

nik.sego

Does Not Work For Me

Post by nik.sego »

Repinorole, the generic of Requip does not work well for me. I get very anxious at night and have a horrible urge to move my legs. I was on Requip since it came out and it was working great for me. I don't know what to do now. I've heard there is another generic of Requip made by another company so I may try that and see what happens.

I did take Tussionex for a cough and it has hydrocodone in it and it took away my restless legs completely. I may talk to my doctor about taking hydrocodone but I know it can be addictive so I don't know how he will feel about it.

Back to the question, I do not feel the generic of Requip works well.