anybody knows why I can't take both Requip and Mirapex?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Mark_Galeck

anybody knows why I can't take both Requip and Mirapex?

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Hello, 1mg Mirapex works OK for me, symptoms are there but more or less OK, I am getting reasonable sleep, not perfect. 2mg Requip is terrible side effects can't handle it.

I tried half of each - 1/2mg of Mirapex and 1mg of Requip - works like a dream - no symptoms during day or night, great sleep.

My doc says no way, don't combine, absolutely not (this was through his nurse so I could not ask why, and he is really busy and hard to get to). Why? Should I seek a second opinion and/or different doc?

Thank you. Mark

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I would seek a second opinion. I think someone else was doing that, but not sure.

And, I'd write a letter to the RLS Ask a Doctor for one, and to Dr Buchfurer, for two. Ask a Doctor, I think, is for members of the RLS Foundation, at least the answers are printed in a publication that only members get. But, it would be a good question for everyone who gets the publication to see the answer to.

And Dr Buchfurer answers questions on the So Cal RLS support group's website, rlshelp.org.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

What Ann said and I would ask the physician personally at my next appt. I don't see why it can't be combined. Probably a safe answer but I don't know if it's true.

How does it work if you remove the Requip from the equation and just slowly increase your Mirapex by .125 every week until you get relief? (With dr's supervision, of course!

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

The reason why I want to limit Mirapex as much as possible - sorry I did not explain - is the cost - Mirapex costs A LOT, my insurance does not cover. Requip generic in the US is cheap.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I also seem to remember a post (s) from someone taking both. However, having said that, I think taking both may not be typical and perhaps has been used in trying to help more difficult cases. It probably just not a first choice combo. Could be wrong there.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope Josh or Ed knows...but I seem to remember hearing that Mirapex is coming out in generic in the relatively near future. I am certainly not sure on that one, though.

Have you tried Requip alone? Maybe you could just use it. (As I type, I figure it's a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway...)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Mark_Galeck

Post by Mark_Galeck »

Yes, with Requip alone, I need as much as 6mg to relieve symptoms so I can sleep, and at that dose, side effects happen. Mirapex alone, about 1 1/2 mg, and it's expensive. Mirapex and Requip, 1/2mg Mirapex and 2mg of Requip and I am happy.