Drug Interactions

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
gulliver

Drug Interactions

Post by gulliver »

Does anyone have an opinion on mixing Requip (for severe RLS), Lunestra (for sleep problems), and Xanax (for anxiety)?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think there is a site drugs.com which lets you enter your information.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

As far as I know there shouldn't be a real problem.. Requip is just a dopamine agonist, Lunesta is a hypnotic (hypnotic/sedative?), and of course Xanax is a benzo/sedative.. I've never had sedation issues with Lunestra, and I can't imagine it interacting with Requip..

If you are unsure, always double check with a pharmascist, or the doctor who prescribed them all to you.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My sleep doctor gave me both Requip and Lunesta at the same time. Lunesta works like a benzodiazepine, so the Xanax might be a bit redundant, but if that what it takes to sleep then maybe it's OK. As others have said, check with a doctor or pharmacist if in doubt, or one of the websites like drugs.com.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Lunesta works like a benzo, but it doesn't affect anxiety. As I recall, there's a spectrum of stuff benzos and benzo-like drugs can affect, and some affect more or less of it. I suspect the Xanax would still be effective for the anxiety.

However, gulliver, I would point out that Xanax is really only good for occasional breakthrough anxiety. If you use it daily, you'll become accustomed to it fairly quickly, and then you'll get into an increasing-dose cycle. If you need something long-term, you might want to consider another type of drug that's more suited to that.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Lunesta makes me high as a kit, so that I want to stay awake and be happy, happy, happy and munch on sugary food that rot my teeth. :lol: (I have 9 cavities, and I'm not taking that stuff anymore!!!)
Susan