Problem with Ambien

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
doety

Problem with Ambien

Post by doety »

I'm trying to get off clonazepam by substituting Ambien. I know they're not the same thing. The last two nights I've even used a bit of clonazepam, thinking I was getting off too quickly. The last five nights, I took meds (which include Methadone), then right before I wanted to sleep, I'd take the Ambien. Almost immediately I got RLS and couldn't sleep all night. Since it's happened five times, with and without the clonazepam, I have to think it's the Ambien.

Apparently nobody else has had this experience? I can't tell you how depressed this makes me and I don't know what to do.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It's bizarre, but if you're sure there was no other reason, it has to be the Ambien. It's not unheard of for drugs to make RLS worse! My RLS got worse on two supposedly RLS-friendly drugs, so I'm not terribly surprised.

There's a large numebr of similar drugs that will have a different side effect profile in you. I think you should ask your doc to swap the Ambien for one of those. (unless he has a more brilliant idea)
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It does sound strange that Ambien would cause WED symptoms but anything to do with WED is strange. Perhaps don't take it for a few nights and then when all seems back to WED normal, try the Ambien again.

There are other sleep aids to try. Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

doety

Post by doety »

I know, I know -- we are a weird bunch. I wanted so much for this to be a solution for me. I was hanging on, hoping I would acclimate or "get over" something and that it would work, but I guess, after using it for 1 1/2 weeks with bad results, I'll have to admit it doesn't work for me. For the first time, I didn't take it last night and got the best sleep I've gotten (maybe 5-6 hours) in a while. Of course, I went back to the clonazepam (1/2 a .5 pill) like I had been doing. I'm sure my body celebrated that. And I'm back to where I started.

I don't like being out here by myself; wish someone else knew what I was talking about. And of course I wonder -- if I had just gotten through a certain number of nights, it would have kicked in. Or maybe I should have taken two Ambien (I only took one). But sometimes I can only torture myself so much. However, if the doctor told me this has happened before, and I just need to hang in, I guess I would try it again.

I remember when I started Mirapex and got bad headaches. I wanted to quit, but the directions said it could do that, and sure enough, on about the third night, it made me sleep, helped my RLS SO much and the headaches went away.

Back to the drawing board.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Klonopin actually worked better for my RLS plus I had the benefit of sleep as well.
If I don't take my Requip everymorning, noon, and night....no amt. of Ambien is gonna make me sleep. (well that's a lie, but I would cry myself to sleep)

I was taken off Klonopin because it's addictive but I stopped cold turkey and started the Requip with no problem.....maybe you really do need to taper.....my Rheumy was surprised I didn't need to taper.

My klonopin dose was low and my Requip is high.....maybe you need a dose adjustment for your RLS symptoms to compensate withdrawal.

I hope you feel relief real soon.
RLS sux

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

How long have you been taking the Ambien? I take a drug break every 2 weeks for about 2 weeks....I use Nyquil or Alka Seltzer nighttime (they r the only 2 that don't bother my legs and back).
RLS sux

doety

Post by doety »

Just talked to my therapist, who's so great about helping me sort things out. This is what I came up with. I've always, always been more sensitive to drugs than anyone I know. I can't take high doses, etc. etc. So it was probably silly to think I could just stop the clonazepam (even if it was a small amount) and get on Ambien.
I got some sleep last night (no Ambien, just Methadone and some clonazepam). I'll do that for a few more nights. Than I will try again, but not cold turkey.
I'll let you know if that's working....

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Strange you mention a sensitivity to drugs - I am the same way. My doctor at my last appt told me if I were a car I'd be a Ferrari. Just a little turn of the wheel and you're four lanes over from where you started. Tap the gas pedal and you're going 80 mph in 4 seconds.

I was just so excited to be compare to an Italian sports car (I'm petite and Irish/English so I'm not Sophia Loren) that I didn't mind so much that it's because I react so strongly to different drugs. :-)

There are plenty of other sleeping meds you can try if the Ambien doesn't work. The pharmaceutical companies have been all over that market in recent years so there are a lot to choose from.

Even though it probably feels like a step backward, I think you are right to go back on the clonazepam. I would follow Ann's example and shave a bit off each night, or every couple nights, to let your body slowly adjust.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I was just so excited to be compared to an Italian sports car
:lol: :lol: love it
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.