Gabapenten used thru the night

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
johnmarg

Gabapenten used thru the night

Post by johnmarg »

I have started using the gabapenten a little thru the night to get a good nights sleep rather than taking the 600MG one time before bed. Has anyone else tried this? It seems to work good for me. Take 300MG before bed, then 100 about midnight or 1 am then 200 about 3 AM . The later also helps me take a morning nap so I can get the 6 hours I need. Just wondering

stjohnh

Re: Gabapenten used thru the night

Post by stjohnh »

I am sensitive to gabapentin, but it clearly helped me sleep. I took 100mg 90 min before bed (along w other meds for RLS) and another 50 mg when I got up to pee about 2-3 hrs after bedtime. Worked better than taking full dose before bed.
Blessings,
Holland

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't use gabapentin but I do use this method with my ropinerole. I take a dose at 9pm and then a smaller dose at about 3am. If I don't do this I will have symptoms at around 5am.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

The half life of gabapentin is only about 4 hrs, so what you are doing by boosting your dose through the night makes sense.

I take 900mg shortly before at bedtime so that I can fall asleep. I also eat a 5mg THC (marijuana) edible. The edible THC takes about 2 hrs to kick in, which means that it starts to work shortly before the gabapentin wears off. The combination is my approach to what you are doing by taking more gabapentin during the night.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

I woke at 5 am with symptoms this morning so I'm thinking my second dose of Gabapentin at 10 pm rather than 9. I'm finding my RLS is expanding to a 12 hour cycle up from an initial 6-8 hour cycle 6 months ago and the mg has increased to 1200-1500 mg. Yeah, timing is pretty important.

johnmarg

Post by johnmarg »

Hi Bry;

I had read somewhere that Gabapentin is only effective up to a dose of 900 MG. After that, added dosage has no effect of RLS.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Well, the problem with gabapentin is that different people metabolize gabapentin much faster or slower than others. Most drugs have a fairly predictable metabolism rate. Not so with gabapentin. I am very sensitive to it. 150 mg for me is a tolerable dose, 300 mg turns me into a zombie. There are folks on this board that are insensitive to it and require doses over 1000mg for it to be effective.
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I am one of those who is less sensitive to gabapentin. I have to take 900 to 1200mg for it to help me fall asleep and then I still need to take an edible marijuana product to help me stay asleep.

There is another issue with gabapentin. It is only absorbed by a short length of the intestinal tract, so how well it works can vary depending on how much actually gets absorbed. The size and timing of your last meal as well as variations between individuals can determine how much actually gets into the blood stream so that it can do its job. That is why they developed Horizant. Horizant is absorbed throughout the intestines and then turns into gabapentin once it is in the blood stream. This makes its performance more predictable and less subject to the variations that can occur with gabapentin.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

stjohnh wrote:Well, the problem with gabapentin is that different people metabolize gabapentin much faster or slower than others. Most drugs have a fairly predictable metabolism rate. Not so with gabapentin. I am very sensitive to it. 150 mg for me is a tolerable dose, 300 mg turns me into a zombie. There are folks on this board that are insensitive to it and require doses over 1000mg for it to be effective.
I am like you - at least initially. One 100 mg dose and I am a zombie for about 14 hours.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

QyX

Post by QyX »

stjohnh wrote:Well, the problem with gabapentin is that different people metabolize gabapentin much faster or slower than others. Most drugs have a fairly predictable metabolism rate. Not so with gabapentin. I am very sensitive to it. 150 mg for me is a tolerable dose, 300 mg turns me into a zombie. There are folks on this board that are insensitive to it and require doses over 1000mg for it to be effective.
Ya, that's true ... and 1000 mg Gabapentin is not even a high dose ...

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

johnmarg wrote:Hi Bry;

I had read somewhere that Gabapentin is only effective up to a dose of 900 MG. After that, added dosage has no effect of RLS.
Hey John,
I can't agree with that. I'm living proof to the contrary. If I stuck to 900mg I'd have some uncomfortable nights at this stage of this disease.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

at least initially. One 100 mg dose and I am a zombie for about 14 hours.
I'm thinking that I have a low reaction to medications. See Ann's comment above in quotes. Many posters have said, like Ann, that they have a Zombie reaction, feel drunk, in a fog the next day, from the anti seizure medications, sleep aids etc etc.
Honestly, I have been unaware of any of these reactions.
Well, actually that's incorrect. I do remember being fogged up when using Amiriptyline and taking myself off it, with a good result, I could think again.
Over the years I tried all the different sleep aids without any side effect, neither did they help me sleep.

At present I take long term low(ish) dose opiod and daily iron capsule without any issue of constipation.
I take Lyrica 150 x 2 daily and am unaware of any oversleepy/zombie side effect. However I am taking note of weight gain/bloating which my GP says doesn't happen.. Take note GP as it is mentioned in the list of side effects in the packaging.

On the other hand, perhaps my life is lived in a 'side effect bubble' and I don't know the real me ??
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

On the other hand, perhaps my life is lived in a 'side effect bubble' and I don't know the real me ??
:D When was the last time you lived the real you?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Beth, I haven't a clue.
It would have had to have been pre DA medication and that would be 14 years. OMG... I've been on ropinerole for 14 years.
The pre DA 'me' was an RLS sufferer of many years but I guess it was still me.

Thing is, in the last 5 or so years I have been diagnosed with another two chronic conditions, each needing medication, And another condition 'pending diagnosis' as I am on the edge. There are so many different medications involved in my regime that I doubt I will never be the old 'me' again. (Well I guess the aging progress is also making sure of that ;) )

This is me, I am me. With the many medications involved and the lack of sleep, I am continually evolving....... as are all of us.
It is all so insidious - horrible sneaky tendrils that conspire.
Betty

badnights

Post by badnights »

I hear you. We have to live fully every moment that we can, that's the only solution.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.