Changing Drugs

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
sleeplessinny

Re: Changing Drugs

Post by sleeplessinny »

I am a long-time RLS sufferer, new to this website. I have only just started reading through the comments on the various threads of this discussion board. I think this may be a good place to post my questions.

For quite a few years, I have been taking Tramadol (150-200mg/per day). It works on my severe restless legs and allows me to sleep, but produces the most disturbing nightmares and bizarre dreams so that sometimes I am actually afraid to go to sleep. Prior to switching to Tramadol, I was on Mirapex (Pramipexole) which worked well, but left me very groggy in the daytime.

I would like to switch off from Tramadol because of the dreams. I have read here that Mirapex has the same nightmare side-effect, although I don’t remember if I suffered bad dreams while on it.

I am considering trying Requip (Ropinirole) if I could have some feedback about its side-effects. Can anyone tell me if they experienced unusual dreams while taking Ropinirole?

Rotigitine was withdrawn from the U.S. market in 2008; so, for me its use is not an option.

I would be so grateful if anyone could suggest a medication that I might try that does not carry with it a nightmare accompaniment.

Another question: Recently, I have experienced the same discomfort spreading to my upper body in addition to my legs. Is this augmentation?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Any of these drugs can cause bizarre dreams - it doesn't mean they will. One of the hardest parts of treating this disease, to me, is not knowing how you're going to react. For example, you don't have problems with pramipexole, but it sure causes me to have crazy dreams! To complicate it further, you may experience the dreams initially but then they might stop. Or, you might not have them initially, and then they start.

Rotigitine is again available in the US - it was approved again this summer - June, 2013, I think. For me, rotigitine and pramipexole have very similar side effects.

It is often a sign of augmentation when it spreads to the upper body. Tramadol can cause augmentation, as well as the dopamine agonists, such as pramipexole or ropinerole.

How educated is your doctor about all of this?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I use ropinerole as part of my medication regime. Occasionally I may have a weird and unpleasant dream but it is not regular and I cannot say that ropinerole specifically been the cause of this.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sleeplessinny

Post by sleeplessinny »

@ ViewsAskew
@ Polar Bear

Thank you for your helpful responses. I'm sorry, I haven't been on the computer in several days.

ViewsAskew, you asked me about how extensive my doctor's knowledge is about RLS. My information comes from a doctor who is the head of neurology at his institution and considered an expert in RLS. He does not treat me as he is in a another state. I was referred to this particular doctor by an RLS support group and I remain in occasional contact with the leader of that group. From time-to-time, I call to find out if there is anything new on the horizon. In addition, I am learning a lot from the internet and particularly from this discussion board.

Thank you, ViewsAskew, for informing me that Rotigitine is again available in the U.S. Although, I am hesitant to try it b/c of a side-effect I recently read about - - falling asleep suddenly(!) Has anyone had any experience with that side-effect? Could that happen when crossing the street or waiting for the subway?

Thank you for all your assistance.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

All of the dopamine agonists can make you fall asleep suddenly. When I first took pramipexole, I actually fell sleep during sex. Hard to explain that one!

If the other dopamine agonists do not make you tired this one likely will not either. I find its side effect profile, for me, is almost identical to pramipexole.

The problem with side effects is that they happen relatively rarely, but have to be reported. If you read every side effect, you'd likely never take anything. It's hard to determine which is scarier - untreated WED/RLS or the side effects. for me, it's the utnreated WED. If I end up with the side effects, then i may change my mind, but I usually figure it's unlikely to happen to me and that if it does, I can stop it then (and I, too, live in a large city and take the subway (-: ).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.