Very good article on Opioids & chronic pain

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
leggo_my_legs

Very good article on Opioids & chronic pain

Post by leggo_my_legs »

This is from 2012, but it may be useful to keep on file, as it cites some studies showing that addiction is unlikely.

http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/091712p16.shtml

ViewsAskew

Re: Very good article on Opioids & chronic pain

Post by ViewsAskew »

this is just me musing....but seems to me that one thing many of those addicted in the US have in common is that they are in crappy places with crappy job prospects and who feel little hope and joy in the world. It is a scary world for many. I guess I think that the stats are elevated in some areas over what would happen if people felt more fulfilled and had meaningful work and lives.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jul2873

Post by jul2873 »

Thanks for the article, Leggo. It is very interesting and very timely. And, Views, I certainly agree with you as well, although I think the population of users has grown since 2012. I'm thinking of people like the vets with PTSD.

I read the kratom postings often on reddit, and there are now thousands of people using kratom for chronic pain, for depression and panic disorders, for PTSD, and of course for RLS. There are also hundreds now, maybe thousands, or people using it to detox from opioids, since kratom does not depress breathing or give the high that opioids do, but kratom does seem to manage many of the withdrawal symptoms.

I get more and more frustrated that kratom is still illegal in several states, and other states have politicians trying to make it illegal. I think many of these "righteous" politicians have never had to deal with chronic pain, or RLS, or depressive conditions. And these are the same politicians trying to make opioids almost impossible to get, even for people who have used them responsibly for years.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

ViewsAskew wrote:this is just me musing....but seems to me that one thing many of those addicted in the US have in common is that they are in crappy places with crappy job prospects and who feel little hope and joy in the world. It is a scary world for many. I guess I think that the stats are elevated in some areas over what would happen if people felt more fulfilled and had meaningful work and lives.

Really excellent point.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

jul2873 wrote: I think many of these "righteous" politicians have never had to deal with chronic pain, or RLS, or depressive conditions. And these are the same politicians trying to make opioids almost impossible to get, even for people who have used them responsibly for years.

Exactly. Live and let live. I suspect they've never had to deal with much of anything, and if they did, they generally have incredible financial resources and can afford the best standard and alternative medicine and treatments.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Or they think they can take drugs and get away with it, they play by different rules.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Or they think they can take drugs and get away with it, they play by different rules.

Isn't that the truth!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Yankiwi wrote:Or they think they can take drugs and get away with it, they play by different rules.

Astute!