Suboxone mixed results

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
srgraves01

Suboxone mixed results

Post by srgraves01 »

I switched to suboxone 2mg. It has seemed to help the day I take it and the next day. It has a very long half life. But I have to wait a few days before taking it again. I am that way with pretty much any medication -- I get used to them very quickly. I have gradually been having more and more of a problem with throwing up -- one of the side effects. If I have to get up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water or to go to the bathroom and I move up and down, I throw up. The last time I took it I actually threw up several times, the last time being around 10AM the next morning. I am thinking that if I break the pill in half that perhaps the side effect may not be as powerful. We shall see.

badnights

Re: Suboxone mixed results

Post by badnights »

Yikes that's horrible! Do you hope to control the throwing up by stopping for a few days, as well as by taking half?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Yes. That is my hope. I want to try to go as long as I can before trying it again. I have been taking it for a little over three months. I had to try different ways of taking it to see what worked best. At first I threw up because I took a pill two days in a row. After that I threw up sometimes in the first part of the night. But to be honest being able to get a good nights sleep was worth the inconvenience of throwing up once during the night; and I didn't throw up ever time I took it. But this last time the throwing up disrupted my sleep almost as much as the RLS would have on its own.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Wow, that's terrible. I've wondered if anyone around here was on Suboxone for RLS. A few years ago I read information that it could be better than methadone for long-term use. Something about methadone causing depression and hormonal issues in the long run. Don't ask me to find that article again, though. I hope you get some sleep!
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

I must admit I'm a bit horrified that you have such a violent reaction to the suboxone. You've had such trials trying to establish a regimen that works. All I can say is keep trying, and I hope the nausea stops!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

srgraves01 wrote:But to be honest being able to get a good nights sleep was worth the inconvenience of throwing up once during the night; and I didn't throw up ever time I took it.

Speaks to the desperation of the sleep-deprived. I hope you find something that works without this side effect.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Thanks badnights. Good observation Leggo_my_legs. Going down to half a dose worked. I had some nausea. I had actually been trying to decrease my tolerance for medication by only taking it once a week for about 5 weeks. After another six days I took another half dose and it worked again. So now I need to see if I can keep on these half doses and if I can shorten the period in between doses. One advantage of this is that during the times that I am not on medication, it seems that the overall amount of tightness in my muscles (legs, hips, butt) seems to be less when I take less medication. It also seems that I have less trouble during the day as well.

It is interesting that the minimum pill size for suboxone is 2mg buprenorphine hydrochloride plus 0.5mg naloxone hydrochloride. I would be nice if they put indentations on the pills to make for more accurate breaking into parts.

I think I read that suboxone is used in a similar way to methadone but it is less powerful. But it sure seemed very powerful to me.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

One of our members has used Suboxone and has had an ongoing thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9720&p=92256&hilit=suboxone#p92256
This is a link to the thread. - it is quite extensive and you may find some useful information.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation