Relief of my RLS with Voltaren gel

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
barrybush

Relief of my RLS with Voltaren gel

Post by barrybush »

I have had RLS for about 7 years. The Requip never seemed to help. I had not had a good nights sleep in 7 years. In fact, I rarely got more than 4 hours sleep each night. Two weeks ago my Rls got unbearable. I started trying massaging my legs with Voltaren gel which is a prescription for arthritis. I got 100% relief. It was incredible. I slept undisturbed all night. So for the last two weeks I have been massaging a small amount of the Voltaren gel into the back and sides of my legs , also I have rubbed my arms which bother me from time to time with RLS. I have read the medical facts on Voltaren gel. I have not had any side effects. I realize that two weeks is not enough time to tell but I get absolutely 100% relief. Just wanted to pass this along to you.

Polar Bear

Re: Relief of my RLS with Voltaren gel

Post by Polar Bear »

I have this in the house and would use it sometimes for my hands.
Voltaren contains Diclofenac, I have Voltarol which is basically the same thing. This is something to bear in mind.

Note - They are NSAIDs, shouldn't be used by anyone with asthma.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope it continues to work. I have to wonder if you may have neuropathy along with with RLS and this helps it. It can be so hard to tell them apart - we get people who are misdiagnosed every so often. I say that because ropinerole/Requip works for almost everyone. That it doesn't help makes me wonder....

Whatever you have, so happy it is gone, at least for now.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

I like any post that begins with Relief of My RLS! :)

barrybush

Post by barrybush »

Update; Almost 9 months of relief with Voltaren gel. I rub a thin layer on the backs and side of my legs before bedtime. No RLS symptoms.. A tube lasts me a month. I have had no side effects that I know of. I was desperate before this. Almost no sleep at night. Now I have to set an alarm to be sure not to over sleep.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

I might try the Votaren gel tonight. Now that my ferratin levels are higher I don't have many symptoms except every time I wake up (3–4 times a night) my legs hurt and I have to stay up for about an hour.

barrybush

Post by barrybush »

I can’t say if it will work for anyone else but it sure helps me.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Last night I rubbed some Votaren gel on the backs of my calves just before bed. Two hours later, like clockwork, I woke up. My left leg hurt so I put some more on. It did take away the RLS pain but after going back to bed I woke up again a few hours later with my other leg hurting. I won't use it again unless I can't work out the pain for a long while.

barrybush

Post by barrybush »

The voltaren gel has a thin card inside to measure how much to put on. I used that at first to be sure I was getting the correct dose. Now I just squeeze that much on my finger and put it on. It covers from my ankle to my hips on the back and side of my legs. I get all night relief. I guess we are all different and what works for me might not affect you the same. Thanks for replying.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My hubbie's doctor suggested this for arthritis pain. I decided to try it for trigger point pain - while not RLS, it definitely wakes me up and keeps me rubbing the affected part because it hurts so much. Definitely helped the pain.

If anyone's RLS is painful, this might help. It would likely help any other pain issues that may mingle with, override, or worsen RLS symptoms, making the RLS easier to deal with, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

pab628

Post by pab628 »

I am on Ropinirole (3mg spread out during day). At night, I take 1 mg Clonazepam and 600 mg. Gabapentin plus 1 (herbal) Valerian Root. I usually sleep fairly well for 7 hours. Two years ago my Neurologist prescribed Voltaren gel, because I was complaining about burning in my feet and a little in the legs. I read the insert and it scared me to death. I'm fairly healthy, I think, except for this misery of RLS and autoimmune skin issues. The insert mentioned a number of catastrophic health issues that could arise, even though you've never had these health issues, one being heart trouble. Yikes. Ointment resides in the linen closet. I think many doctors have gone prescription crazy and don't even know side effects. Just my opinion.

67java89

Post by 67java89 »

I have some Voltaren gel which I use for arthritis. I'm going to give it a try on the legs. I am desperate to get off of Requip. I've been on it for 4+ years but absolutely cannot sleep without it.
Sleep is a basic need.