The next pharma drug crisis in the US may be starting

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

The next pharma drug crisis in the US may be starting

Postby ViewsAskew » Mon May 07, 2018 7:07 pm

My eyes hurt tremendously, so I won't stay to write about it now. Click on this to find the article about gabapentin - now a scheduled drug in Kentucky and routinely being abused...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Re: The next pharma drug crisis in the US may be starting

Postby legsbestill » Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Interesting that rls is specifically mentioned as a condition gabapentin is used to treat. I must say I’d have to be really desperate to resort to this drug for a ‘high’ - it’s so unpleasant. Also had a hollow laugh when I read that it is combined with opioids and marijuana for a more ‘intense’ high. It sounds so melodramatic but it doesn’t accord with my experience. Do people find gabapentin more intense when combined with an opioid? I take pregabalin with marijuana but I can’t say I notice any difference between the days when I take them mmj and the days when I don’t.

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 pm

I saw a similar article about six weeks ago that cited gabapentin use at the University of Ohio where they said a 300mg capsule was selling on the street for 50 cents. I am on the faculty at U of Ohio. I don't doubt that it is being abused, but I am pretty sure that most of it is with alcohol and not narcotics. These stories always seem to mix and match facts just to suit the desired message similar to the facts about deaths due to opioid abuse. The fact is that coroners only report the death due to opioids. They do not differentiate between prescription pills and heroin, but the media always makes it appear to be prescription pills that are responsible for the majority.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Postby QyX » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:45 pm

ViewsAskew wrote:My eyes hurt tremendously, so I won't stay to write about it now. Click on this to find the article about gabapentin - now a scheduled drug in Kentucky and routinely being abused...

The abuse potential for Gabapentin is rather low.

Lyrica is the same type of class, way more potent and is abused heavily here in Germany but it is not a controlled substance.

Gabapentin is too weak for proper abuse in my opinion. You need extreme doses of Gabapentin to get high and tolerance kicks in after using it only once or twice.

Making Gabapentin a controlled substance is just stupid and pointless but it would be a good idea if you want to sell more of the expensive Lyrica or Horizon.

Edit: Gabapentin and Lyrica are great drugs (if used properly) to manage withdraw from opioids. They are able to kill most of the possible withdraw symptoms associated with opioid withdraw symptoms. And with the current opioid crisis and so many patients suffering from losing their access to opioids, it is no surprise that Gabapentin and Lyrica get more popular.

Rustsmith

Postby Rustsmith » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:50 am

Qyx, the issue with gabapentin isn't that it is being abused by itself. The idiots who are making things difficult for the rest of us are using it to add to the high that they are getting from other drugs and this appears to even include alcohol. The indications are that the high (or drunk) is even higher if it is combined with gabapentin.

So far, gabapentin is a Schedule 5 medication in only one state, Kentucky. As for Lyrica, the US government has it on Sch 5, so unlike gabapentin Lyrica is controlled in all 50 states. However, the UK is currently taking steps in the same direction with gabapentin.
Steve

Augmentation Evaluation http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9005

Return to “Prescription Medications”