Recent restrictions on length of opioid prescriptions

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Re: Recent restrictions on length of opioid prescriptions

Post by ViewsAskew »

mudslide wrote:Steve, many thanks -- I am inspired by your suggestions. Ann, thanks for explaining the out-of-state process. Sounds like you eventually moved to California to be close to Dr. B. -- ? Wow. I will send up prayers that he won't retire any time soon. I was just reading over your post above, and I'm amazed that you "take a couple of months off" from time to time. So you go through the hellaciousness of withdrawal on a semiregular basis in order to keep your dosages low at least for a while?

Yes and Yes. I did move there to be closer. I like it there (mostly) and it makes it SO much easier to try things, get infusions,get my scripts, etc.

I also find that I am one of those people who develops tolerance - and fast! I found that I could reduce it by 100% by doing this.Sadly, it doesn't last long. I thought last time that I'd try stopping it more frequently, but when it was so low, I thought it would last longer than it did. By the time it started creeping up, I'd missed my window to do it easily. This time, I am going to (I tell myself now, at least) see what happens if I can get Dr. B to try a different opioid that is shorter acting, then try regular holidays from it to see what happens.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mudslide

Post by mudslide »

That's mind-boggling. All I can say is, I wish you the best, and thank you so much for serving as a moderator when you're dealing with these personal struggles so often.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

mudslide wrote:Steve, many thanks -- I am inspired by your suggestions. Ann, thanks for explaining the out-of-state process. Sounds like you eventually moved to California to be close to Dr. B. -- ? Wow. I will send up prayers that he won't retire any time soon. I was just reading over your post above, and I'm amazed that you "take a couple of months off" from time to time. So you go through the hellaciousness of withdrawal on a semiregular basis in order to keep your dosages low at least for a while?

Yes and Yes. I did move there to be closer. I like it there (mostly) and it makes it SO much easier to try things, get infusions,get my scripts, etc.

I also find that I am one of those people who develops tolerance - and fast! I found that I could reduce it by 100% by doing this.Sadly, it doesn't last long. I thought last time that I'd try stopping it more frequently, but when it was so low, I thought it would last longer than it did. By the time it started creeping up, I'd missed my window to do it easily. This time, I am going to (I tell myself now, at least) see what happens if I can get Dr. B to try a different opioid that is shorter acting, then try regular holidays from it to see what happens.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.