Has anyone used Lyrica for RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
drFred

Has anyone used Lyrica for RLS

Post by drFred »

I have a rare form of cancer and have had it for almost 18 years. I also have RLS for the past year or so (or possibly neuropathy?). I have tried almost every drug recommended for RLS and none of them have helped. My dr. is now recommending Lyrica. Just wondering if anyone else has taken this and if you have had any good results? I would be very happy to find something that would give me some relief!
Thanks

legsbestill

Re: Has anyone used Lyrica for RLS

Post by legsbestill »

Yes; it is reasonably effective for rls. Especially for those who have not previously augmented on the dopamine agonist family of drugs. It often works well on its own but it can be particularly effective in conjunction with other drugs. I take a low dose of it in conjunction with a tiny dose of pramipexole and some ldn as well as some dipyridamole. This works well for my rls which has a tendency to be resistant to one drug in its own.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

It does have some side effects, the most immediate being weight gain. It can also cause gloominess. At higher doses i got patches of inflammation on my skin. It makes me a bit dizzy and also quite tired. I sometimes get a weird sense of weakness in one of my legs when on a higher dose also.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

drFred, what exactly have you tried - and, if you remember, at what dosages?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

I was recently prescribed Lyrica as well; I have been taking it w/.125 of mirapex. I've done some searches on the forum and it seems that the lyrica helps w/sleep quality, but not necessarily the RLS. Is that true?

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I used it, but could not tolerate side effects.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Oozz, I use gabapentin rather than Lyrica but can offer this statement that was made by one of the doctors at Johns Hopkins. He said that only about 65% of RLS patients benefit from the alpha-2-delta meds when it comes to movement issues. These meds do better when it comes to encouraging sleep, but the side effects end up driving many away from them.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

drFred wrote:... I also have RLS for the past year or so (or possibly neuropathy?)....

it sounds like it's not entirely clear that you have RLS. Certainly if you don't have RLS, that would explain why the medications that you have tried in the past have not worked. What are your symptoms that suggest RLS?
Blessings,
Holland

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

I tried it after I had gone through augmentation. It did not help me and I became very depressed. Not my favorite drug; but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.