moving from mirapex to requip and doses.

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
verysf

moving from mirapex to requip and doses.

Post by verysf »

Hi there everyone. I am trying to move from mirapex to requip. I was on 1.5 mg of mirapex but it was causing neuropothy so my doctor added neurontin (300 mg). That seemed to work but I was augmenting, and went down to .5 pf mirapex with neurontin. That has helped with augmentation, but weight gain and not wanting to continue with neurontin has had me want to change to requip. I tried up to 1.25 of requip and my RLS symptoms were still happening. My doctor is clueless about doses for RLS (can't seem to find a good RLS doctor in San Francisco!!!!!) -- and I was wondering how much of the requip I should try (obviously I started low and went up...i went back to mirapex....can I start with a high dose of requip when I make the transition?). Thanks.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

2:1 or 3:1 Requip to Mirapex. So if at .5 mg Mirapex, start at 1 mg Requip and go up to 1.5 mg Requip. That's what I've seen on other sites, but obviously amke sure you tell your doctor and work with him, even if he isn't that up on it.

Ann

carol

mirapex v requip

Post by carol »

i have been on mirapex for yrs... word wonders..now having side affects. so i am stopping it... whats the diffrance between requip and mirapex? ty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Carol, if you ever want quick info, a great place for drug info is rlshelp.org. Dr B lists all the drugs that are used. Put a bookmark there and visit often :lol: . I do :wink:

Requip works on slightly different receptors than Mirapex. Both are dopamine agonists and primarily used to treat Parkinson's. I was told on another site that both are available at generics, but don't remember getting generics when I tried them. But it is worth asking at the pharmacy. Now that Requip is approved by the FDA to treat RLS (the only drug that has their explicit approval), many people are using it.

Ann

carol

Post by carol »

thank you ann for your help