Neupro

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Rustsmith

Re: Neupro

Post by Rustsmith »

Kathy, the drowsiness is something that often goes away in a day or two but it lasts longer for others. As for the edema, that is not one that I experienced so I cannot comment in it. As for the price, that is what drives many away from Neupro. The patent on it expires in 2 years. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a generic (i.e. cheaper) form to become available after that.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Rustsmith wrote:As for the price, that is what drives many away from Neupro. The patent on it expires in 2 years. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a generic (i.e. cheaper) form to become available after that.

Transdermal technology (patches) is considerably more complex than making an oral pill. Considering the relatively small number of people using Neupro and the large number of discontinuations due to rashes, I suspect it may take considerably longer than usual to get a generic form.
Blessings,
Holland

vkelley

Post by vkelley »

I’ve been fortunate to not experience any rashes, but i have been having headaches. That was not listed as a side effect, but I wasn’t having them until I started the Neupro. I’ve been using the samples the dr gave me and am now up to 4 mg. My samples run out this week and I’m not sure this is the solution for me. I also go for my iron infusions this week, so hopefully that will help.

Caitrin

Post by Caitrin »

Well, I am now 24 hours on Neupro 2 mg. and leg jerking free as well as drowsiness. I rechecked my samples and there are enough for two weeks and I have decided to continue the Neupro while rethinking the Sinemet. It is good not to have daytime WED. Regarding the patent on Neupro I thought it expired in 2024 or beyond. Yes, I do hope one of the generic drug companies will be able to have their generic form approved.

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

An iron level of 10 sounds incredibly low (I have no medical background). Mine was several hundred. I think over 75 is considered right for rls (I think??) It would be great to identify the cause and treat that instead of getting mixed up with the dopamine agonists.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Stainless, you are correct that a ferritin level of 10 is low, not only for RLS but also for the general population. The current recommendations are that for RLS it should be at LEAST 75 and better yet 100.

For more info on iron, take a look at the paper on iron that was recently published. The link is in the post "IRLSSG Paper on Iron and Iron IVs" on this page : http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4749&start=390
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.