Requip vs mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
annie

Requip vs mirapex

Post by annie »

I am new to this discussion board, but have read the website for sometime now. I have rls that is now effecting my arms. I have tried sinemet then klonipin. They both worked for a while. I have tried ambien, which i sleep about 2 hours and that is it. I started on Mirapex about a year ago. I have had to gradually increase my dose, now at .625 mg a night, as well as take baclofen 20 mg. My Dr. switched me to Requip on Monday, had to start low. That lasted one night. I then went to 1 mg for 3 nights now and I am now a basket case. I cannot sleep. My arms and legs are tingling, my nerves are twitching, and last night I woke up having an anxiety attack.. heart racing, and it lasts most of the day. I am going back to my Mirapex tonight, but I am looney now. Has anyone else felt like this? I cannot get my husband to understand, its too hard to explain. Please let me know what has worked for others?
God Bless, Annie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Annie, I can't remember, but I think my doctor had me titrate more slowly. Did you take 1 mg all at one time? Seems it might be too much, too quickly - I think that Parkinson's patients only take .75 mg a day for the first week and that is in 3 divided doses. I may be misremembering, though. Stopping that much Mirapex that quickly also might be a problem. Not sure, but think I cut back .25 weekly until I was off. Requip didn't work for me and Mirapex caused augmentation and other side effects.

I'm just waiting for the DH to finishing dressing and I'm off to a graduation party, so can't do much checking.

Search on Mirapex or go to the Pharm Therapies section. There are lots of posts about Mirapex. There are also lots of post throughout the site on what is working for people. Reading through the posts is one of the fastest ways to find out what the rest of us know 8) .

Also, here's a link to another post as we've had a lot of newcomers lately, so you might want to read our replies to Katie http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=994, and this one, too http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585 as both posts contain some great information about lifestyle management, links to more specific info, etc.

This should keep you busy for awhile :wink:.

Ann (primarily known as Annie to her family)

Paula

Post by Paula »

Annie,

I am also new to the discussion board. I have had RLS for several years and none of the doctors that I have visited seem to know what to do.
I have been reading about Requip - it gave me hope unitl I read about your experience with it. I am sensitive to meds so I have anxious about trying Requip.

Paula

annie

Post by annie »

Hi Paula, Since I wrote my email, I did stop the Requip, and have continued on the Mirapex. I understand that Mirapex and Requip are very similar, but I just reacted more sensitively to the Requip. I am fine with the Mirapex. Don't shy away from it because of my experience.
What has really helped me is the website www.rlshelp.org. Click on patient letters. There is some very valuable information there, as well as the opportunity to ask a medical adviser with the rls foundation your questions. I did that and copied his answers for my family Dr. I am trying the Mirapex, .125mg in the evening, and .5 mg at bedtime. I have added Lunesta 1 mg. If that doesn't work, I will try Ultram. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and God Bless you. It is a horrible disorder to have, but I know we can beat this!!

Paula

Post by Paula »

Thanks Annie,

Any information about RLS is appreciated. I have had to move to another bedroom away from my husband because of my RLS. He didn't complain, but I felt guilty about keeping him awake.

Paula :(

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Paula, there are many options available to you, even if you are sensitive to meds. Dr B, who answers all the posts on the www.rlshelp.org, says that there are very few people that can't be helped.

I was in the position years ago of sleeping in separate beds from my partner. I'm not going to say that it was the cause of our eventually breakup, but it sure contributed. The intimacy you lose when you do that can be much more than you think. Please be careful to ensure you increase intimacy in some other way to make up for what you are losing.

There are so many good posts on here with such great info in them. You cannot do yourself any better than to read them. Some of the info may not be applicable, but it will increase your knowledge so you know how to better handle this disorder. A good place to start is the New to RLS section and read some of the advice our great members have given.

It may take some time and some work, but if you stick with it, you will find a way to live with this and still have good quality of life.

Ann

Post by Guest »

Thanks...

I have been up most of the night reading the discussion board. You are right, there are many options.

Paula

vanessac

Post by vanessac »

My husband had the same experience after taking Requip, it was hard for me to understand as well. I know what you're saying about feeling "looney", it's hard for him to discribe too.

The problem is the meds work for a little bit and then leave him feeling much worse... We've seemed to have tried them all now.

D

Requip

Post by D »

I have been using Amantadine for RLS, it's pretty good, but I rebound at about 4 wake up and I have to talk more often, but I'm thinking of the trying the Requip after going to a talk about RLS. The doctor felt that Requip gave more of a dopamine "pop". My daughter is showing symptoms, that would make 4 generations of restless legs!!
D

d

Requip

Post by d »

I need to get new glasses, I wanted to say, I need to take more Amantadine at 4am. I was given a Requip 2 week starter packet,
from GlaxoSmithKline it starts with 2 0.25mg then 5 0.5mg then 7 1mg.
Good Luck,
D