Cannabis

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
QyX

Re: Cannabis

Post by QyX »

Okay, another update.

So as mentioned in previous posts I increased my CBD dose because I noticed it can massively improve the time I need to fall asleep. But guess what happens when you take too much CBD .... well, you guessed right: it will cause insomnia.

At lower doses CBD seems to improve the effects of THC but when I went over a certain dose (I am exactly sure at what dose exactly) it seems to have quite an influence on the effects of THC. The most notable effect after insomnia is that the Cannabis strains seem to lose their individual special effects.

Normally each strain feels quite different for me but on higher doses of CBD the strains start to feel very similar. I wouldn't say that higher doses of CBD make you less high when you use THC but the overall effects simply equal out. So I am just high, have the positive analgesic effects but can't sleep.

This also explains why inhaling strains rich in CBD did not work for me. I was simply "overdosed" on CBD.

The dose where the insomnia seems to happen is around 20 to 40 mg per day for me, especially when taken on a regular basis.

I feel like this is an important issue. Especially the Cannabis strains sold to new users often contain quite a bit of CBD. So when Cannabis is not working for you, it might be that you are using too much CBD.

I would love to know if I am the only one where CBD works like this or if there are others.

Eh, and it just shows again how complicated dosing Cannabis can be.

We badly need more research, more data, more postings by people who share their experience.

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

QyX :

I have the same medical vaporizer as you (Mighty)
I also have the smaller version with less battery (Crafty)

Like you , I experienced an absolute breakthrough in treating my rls with cannabis .
It let me truly rest without even a thought of rls (at the very least for an hour or two)
My breakthrough occured about 2.5 years ago , and I've since had a couple big setbacks involving my DA so we wont get too excited, but there are DEFINITELY ways to use cannabis to help manage RLS .

Perhaps we may gain tolerance
Heck , perhaps we could even augment
.... but if used sparingly and properly it can be very effective

I had gone 16 years without it (and never planned to use it again)
I was VERY experienced with it all 10 years prior to that

I was hesitant to resume

It did work wonders

We have a couple of the same licensed producers as well
We can compare notes on various strains etc
I'm gonna wrap this up for now though cause I gotta go walk around !!

QyX

Post by QyX »

Cannabis is not always 100% reliable but it helps a lot.

It seems like that I should, maybe after 3-4 months take a short break of 7 to 10 days to reset my receptors a bit. As far as I can tell there isn't any tolerance when it comes to the analgesic properties but there are for sure some when it comes to sleep.

What strains have you used so far?

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

I'll have to take a gander through my LPs websites side by side with my phone to give you a comprehensive list

You mentioned Red #2 (from Tweed/Spectrum)
Definitely nice for the early evening sativa
... I'm not sure if I've seen you say anything about Red #1
It is very good as the bedtime indica !
Very sedating and
I agree with you regarding a good batch of LA confidential
Was both effective for RLS and my chronic tension headaches
I would get mine from Aurora , but they haven't had a strain above 15% in months , so I went with other strains
Aurora has a few good strong sativas .
Their Blue Dream has been very good
Their Sour Tangie can be really good, but definitely not at bedtime as it really has some uplifting effects

I've yet to try Girl Scout cookies from Canna Farms
It looks promising
I just missed out on their 27% batch

Bakerstreet from Tweed was also disappointing for me
I still have most of it
With that said, it's still probably better in a rotation than smoking the same strain every night
... I always have 3 indicas and 3 sativas on the go

As you've figured out , indicas are meant for bedtime only

I try to take Auroras CBD oil
Theirs is better than Tweed IMO
.... with that said I only find CBD oil useful for easing my tension headaches, but not really for RLS

I've just taken some tramadol (after skipping my new tramadol ER dose )
I'm about to vape some Red #1

Wish me luck

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

QyX wrote:Cannabis is not always 100% reliable but it helps a lot.

It seems like that I should, maybe after 3-4 months take a short break of 7 to 10 days to reset my receptors a bit. As far as I can tell there isn't any tolerance when it comes to the analgesic properties but there are for sure some when it comes to sleep.

What strains have you used so far?
I forgot to quote you in my above post

I do agree, and this seems to go with just about everything, a break for a few days here and there can be beneficial
Also, by vape session #4 or #5 of the night, Ican do more harm than good.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Red No #1 is available here but as far as I know not all the others you mentioned.

Germany does import all of its Cannabis from Canada and the Netherlands. So we only get what is not needed in those countries. Because of horrible laws and regulations production in Germany most likely won't start before the end of 2020 or 2021 ...

At least I have a doctor who let's me try everything I want ... but again, availability is a bit of problem and I can't just go into a pharmacy and buy Cannabis because here in Germany I need a special narcotics prescription like the ones used for prescribing opioids.

So this makes it a bit of a hassle ....

QyX

Post by QyX »

So damn, just checking the availability of Cannabis and it turns out Red No. 1 is not available in Germany at all. We only have Red No. 2 and Red No. 4 (plus Orange No. 1 and Blue No. 3) from Tweed.

So I guess I am gonna try Red No. 4 which is supposed to be an indica strain for the night as an alternative for my Pedanios 20/1 (LA Confidential).

Availability in general is relatively poor at the moment. Demand is still bigger than supply.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Ah ... and I just figured out what strain is behind Bedrocan: it is "Jack Herer" ... on https://www.leafly.com/strains/jack-herer it says the strain is energizing but I never feel much of it and mostly mix it with LA Confidental (Pedanios 20/1 here in Germany).

So in addition to the stuff I already use I will try: Red No. 4 (Crimea Blueberry / Crimea Blue) and White Widow (Klenk 18/1 in Germany).

When I was 18 I smoked Cannabis during the weekends for about a year and back then Cannabis was often energizing initially but nowadays every strain is calming, some more than others. So I normally don't vape during the day because otherwise I would get nothing done.

Also there is one more potent sativa strain available: "Ghost Train Haze" but might have to wait until december.

Oh about Bedrocan (Jack Herer): it is so far my favourite strain because it smells nice, tastes good, is very mild but also potent (up to 25% THC) and can be used during the day or at night, depending on the dose. What I find most interesting about it is that it seems to augment the properties of other strains.

For example when I mix it with Red No. 2 I often get a mild, relaxant euphoria while when used together with LA Confidental, I get a stronger sedative high, making it easier to fall asleep.

It is also my favourite strain to use when I was able to fall asleep but wake up after 2-3 hours and can't fall asleep again. Than a small dose of Bedrocan has often proven to be highly effective.

If you ever get around to try Jack Herer, let me know.

https://www.wikileaf.com/strain/jack-herer/

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

QyX wrote:Ah ... and I just figured out what strain is behind Bedrocan: it is "Jack Herer" ... on https://www.leafly.com/strains/jack-herer it says the strain is energizing but I never feel much of it and mostly mix it with LA Confidental (Pedanios 20/1 here in Germany).

So in addition to the stuff I already use I will try: Red No. 4 (Crimea Blueberry / Crimea Blue) and White Widow (Klenk 18/1 in Germany).

When I was 18 I smoked Cannabis during the weekends for about a year and back then Cannabis was often energizing initially but nowadays every strain is calming, some more than others. So I normally don't vape during the day because otherwise I would get nothing done.

Also there is one more potent sativa strain available: "Ghost Train Haze" but might have to wait until december.

Oh about Bedrocan (Jack Herer): it is so far my favourite strain because it smells nice, tastes good, is very mild but also potent (up to 25% THC) and can be used during the day or at night, depending on the dose. What I find most interesting about it is that it seems to augment the properties of other strains.

For example when I mix it with Red No. 2 I often get a mild, relaxant euphoria while when used together with LA Confidental, I get a stronger sedative high, making it easier to fall asleep.

It is also my favourite strain to use when I was able to fall asleep but wake up after 2-3 hours and can't fall asleep again. Than a small dose of Bedrocan has often proven to be highly effective.

If you ever get around to try Jack Herer, let me know.

https://www.wikileaf.com/strain/jack-herer/
So I've had both of these, and both are very good

I used ghost train haze just yesterday (I think I forgot how good it was so I didnt mention it with the other sativas from Aurora)

I didn't mention Jack Herer because Tweed stopped importing from the Netherlands !
I had only just discovered it , and then it was gone .
It was FANTASTIC, and the real deal

It is a hybrid and kind of right in the middle , so I'm not suprised you get those effects when combining with pure sativas or pure indicas

My newest licensed producer Canna Farms does carry it, and it will be part of my next order (hopefully with Girl Scout Cookies)

Jack Herer is a former cannabis cup winner
That stuff is great !

QyX

Post by QyX »

Okay, so back from the Dr.

I managed to get Pedanios 22/1 (should be Ghost Train Haze, but there is no 100% guarantee), Red No. 4 (should be Crimea Blue, but no guarantee) and Klenk 18/1 (should be Widow, but again no guarantee).

Turns out when they send different batches of Pedanios 22/1 into a laboratory to check if the terpenes concentration are similar between different batches, quite significant differences were discovered ... up to two times less or more of certain terpenes ... so not good.

Only the Cannabis imported from the Netherlands never changes their strains. There are some 'experts' here in Germany who believe it doesn't really matter when a different strain is used as long as THC and CBD concentrations are similar.

But whatever I got now (I think it is Ghost Train Haze but not 100% sure yet) seems to affect me in the way I hoped it would. It made me super sleepy in my head, really tired even but it also causes a calming cerebral activation that feels quite potent.

It is quite interesting in my case that even sativa strains that should have activating properties make me at least lazy, if not a bit sedated. The difference to indica strains seems to be that sativa strains affect more my head and less my body.

So when it comes to pain and RLS symptoms in general, I prefer indica but to get that calming sleepyness in my head, I just add some sativa.

I just hope effects are more consistent this time. At least for now I am happy that I found something that seems to be helpful.

I remember when I used Bedrocan (Jack herer) the first time: I fell asleep after 30 minutes even though it says on a few homepages that the strain should be quite stimulating but for me, as you already wrote, it is quite in the middle. Personally it feels more like a hybrid (which it technically is) with quite a few indica properties.

When I used Red No. 2 it didn't have any of those indica effects. I would say this was a pure, very mild, sativa.

So Klenk 18/1 I got because White Widow is such a famous strain and people claim it is activating while also very helpful with falling asleep. When I was 18 and had my first experiences with Cannabis, White Widow was one of those famous strains we all wanted to have but there was no way to get it.

And with Red No. 4 (Crimea Blue) I hope to have an alternative for Pedanios 20/1 (LA Confidental). Dr said it is quite possible to develop a tolerance against certain terpenes profiles / strains. So rotating and trying different strains is important. I am happy she is having this attitude and just let's me try whatever I want to try. I just wish Cannabis medicine wouldn't be so complicated. So much trial & error :-(

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

Lol

Jack herer had the same effect on me

You remind me more and more that it was my favorite strain (and it was the same one as you from the Netherlands)
I rationed it big time when I found out I couldn't get any more

I'll try and score some more from Canna Farms
Hopefully it's the real deal
(they by far have the most flower variety than any other LP)

I just had some Red #1 arrive this morning from Spectrum/Tweed
25% THC
I wish I could share

I seem to have to rotate this strain less than any other

QyX

Post by QyX »

Do you know what strain is behind Red #1?

I am sure Tweed could export it to Germany if they wanted to but seems like availability / production is the issue. Even this year, over 2 year after the laws got changed to allow treatment with medical Cannabis, Germany was almost out of Cannabis from Canada. For almost 3 months no Cannabis from Canada was available for import to Germany. So I am kinda happy with what we got so far.

Jack Herer is indeed a good strain. It was my favourite in the past few months and it was a good mix with LA Confidential to improve the terrible taste of LA C. and get stronger cerebral effects while still using a strain that is ultimately relaxing. It was also a good mix with Red #2. Even though Red #2 has about 18% THC, it felt a bit weak with the effects only lasting a short time. So adding some Jack Herer who has a similar smell and taste added some spice to it and gave me a smile almost every time I tried it. So seems like Red #2 has good uplifting, antidepressant properties.

Pedanios 22/1 is definitely a potent strong sativa with significant cerebral, partly even psychedelic effects which would fit the profile of Ghost Train Haze. When it continues to have this effect of instantly making me tired it will be a great product to have but not sure if this will last. Normally takes about a week for me until I fully understand how a specific strain is affecting.

But my favourite yesterday was Klenk 18/1 which is without a doubt White Widow. I can absolutely see now why it is so popular. It is mildly activating at first but then has long lasting calming and even hypnotics properties. Feels like a hybrid with neither sativa or indica effects dominating. Depending on the website you check, some claim it is more sativa while others claim it is more indica. My Dr says it is more indica but I would say hybrid, 100%. I also can see it being a good mix with Jack Herer.

Red #4 I haven't really tried yet. Only a very small dose to check its taste.

In total I slept quite a few hours last night, however sleep was still interrupted quite a few times. I guess we have to see how the next weeks ago. For now I am happy to finally have a few alternatives for LA C. after Bakerstreet was such a disappointment.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Wow, so I am having quite incredible results with Klenk 18/1 (White Widow). Last night I was able to sleep for more than 12 hours. It is the probably the best sleep I've ever had from using Cannabis. Unfortunately nobody knows how consistent the effect will be and it is prone to tolerance.

LA Confidential lost some of its hypnotic properties the longer I used until it was not useful for sleep anymore. But after not using it for several days its effects started to come back.

I guess I just have to wait and see how this goes but having found additional strains who work as a hypnotic is promising. That can be viewed that there are even more varieties out there that can be useful for my insomnia issues.

Kinda disappointed that the sativa strain "Ghost Train Haze" doesn't have any activating or stimulating properties but given my medical history, paradox effects are to be expected and its potent effects of making me instantly tired and super sleepy will be great for inducing sleep or in case I should wake up in the middle of the night und unable to go back to sleep again.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Wow, so I can't believe: I slept again & again. Can't remember the last time when I slept so much in just a few days. It seems like it was even too much since I woke up with a really depressed mood, so bad that I used Cannabis in the late morning to improve my mood. Normally I don't use Cannabis during the day but today was just bad and was really happy to have something on hand that could improve my mood within in minutes.

So yesterday I tried to sleep with using Red No. 4 (Crimea Blue) first. It feels like a mild indica even though it is quite potent (23,4%). When you vape it, you really wouldn't think it is that strong and while the legs and body itself feels great, it doesn't seem to helpful with making me sleep.

So I had to go back to Klenk 18/1 (White Widow, approx. 18% THC) which seems to work super reliably, at least for now. What I really like about White Widow is that you don't need to get super high to fall asleep. It is all very smooth and mild and somewhat natural.

Before I used it yesterday, I thought there is no way it will make me sleep because after using Red No. 4, I still felt quite awake and alert.

Pedanios 20/1 (LA Confidential, approx. 24% THC) worked quite reliably for a while when I started adding some extra CBD at night. But Pedanios 20/1 is also a real strong indica which can make you quite high up to a point where it is almost psychedelic. Klenk 18/1 offers a much smoother experience and hopefully turns out be more reliable.

But at the very minimum I have at least two strains who work as a sleeping aid and rotating between different strains seems to help with avoiding tolerance for effects who are not related to THC.

After a few days with Ghost Train Haze (Pedanios 22%) I must say it doesn't feel like something special. Its effects seem to be quite neutral, it is mostly a cerebral feeling without any noticeable effects on my legs. It is an okayish strain for the early evening but later at night it doesn't have the necessary effects on my legs.

But what is really quite interesting in that context is that Pedanios 22/1 made me super sleepy in the first 3 days. The effect was quite potent and then after a few days it is almost the opposite. Now the strain feels quite mild, like nothing special at all without the mood uplifting properties you normally would expect from a potent sativa strain.

Icantsleep

Post by Icantsleep »

Well I'm really super happy that you're finding multiple strains that seem to be so highly effective

I have access to white widow myself via Canna Farms
Will add it to my next order with them

I still have alot of success with many sativas for my "early evening " rls
... with that said those symptoms pale in comparison to bed time and overnight rls .

I should emphasis that cannabis REALLY helps with the urge to move itself
I know some people use it only for sleep , but sometimes as long as I get to my vape within 5 minutes of rls onset, cannabis can stop it within another 5 minutes (and keep it away for hours)
.... or I use it preventively and dont get evening rls at all

Night time still seems to require a good 50mg tramadol AND a strong indica (not even tramadol by itself)

Red #1 continues to be the most reliable

You can google "spectrum Red #1 reviews " and perhaps try to determine its origins

Some say Tahoe OG

Some say its origins are unknown as it is a properterity strain

Remind me , do you have access to oils or gel caps ?
Spectrum makes oil and gel caps for both red #1 and red #2
.... but for some reason I sometimes get worsening (and slow and unpredictable results)

Tonight I may need to go with gel caps however, as my kids have given me their latest cold (just what I needed)
I hate vaping when I'm sick , and 100% cannot vape if I have any kind of chest infection.

I hope you continue to find restorative sleep